Survivor Project

City
Lanexa
State
VA
i was told on Comanche Club to cross post this for yall, so here is my intro post... We picked up a new “project” this week, an '85 Scrambler. 4.2L, manual, 4x4 with 1,000 original miles...

I don't know the whole story, this is my old mans purchase... All i know is he bought it from the son of the original owner. The original owner passed away and apparently after much fighting between siblings the guy in our neighborhood got it. The day it showed up (over a year ago) my old man was drooling over it. They wouldn't sell it, after holding onto it waiting for a family member to get the cash together he finally offered us the opportunity to buy since he knows we also have 2 MJ’s and a Wagoneer.

1st step are to get this old girl running and driving, then take it to a detailer to try and bring the paint back as best we can. We are thinking of adding the orange/gold stripes and the "scrambler" hood vinyls. Also with getting the wheels powder coated white or a cream color.

Attachments

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
1,000 original miles...
Oh my :oops:

E: I'm not sure I'd do anything to it other than maybe buff the paint out. Anything else would be like clearing the patina off an antique rifle. The wheels are desirable and I'd either keep them or trade them for a set of white wagons. Strip the clear coat and you'll be able to shave yourself using the reflection.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Love the beautiful honey color interior. Tilt column and AC are nice options. I agree with cleaning up the chrome wheels. . .they do clean up nice. As beautiful a survivor as it is, if you like the decals (and I do), then put them on and I don't think they will hurt the value of your Scrambler.

solsaks

City
benson
State
NC
Holy Moly is what I said when I saw it.
a super solid original !!!!
you lucky dog !.......you have been doing something right.
dave in NC

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
That is an awesome find. Last year original and probably one of the lowest mileage ones too.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
As far as the wheels I am confused what others are saying above about chrome. These are indeed the original white wagon wheels with black stripe. They are also the original 1985 tires too I can tell without a doubt. Don’t paint these wheels. Try some washing and polish first. Then if you want something different get chrome and put these away safely. They are invaluable to the originality of this amazing example. A672B14B-3E5E-4E76-A16A-D66DD501E396.png

scramble1983

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
tx
Clean it up and if you decide to sell it, bringatrailer.com will likely set a new record on a Scrambler sale. This is a $80-100k find for the right collector. Dennis Collins is drooling

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Something doesn't quite add up though; it's an SR package, but the SR decals are all gone, and it has an aftermarket "Jeep" decal on the tailgate. Jersey, what are your thoughts?

solsaks

City
benson
State
NC
I think they mentioned chrome wheels because of the gray effect in the photo
makes them appear as dull or dirty chrome wheels with dust on them
when really
the photo is just dark,....an optical illusion.
I thought they were chrome at first too.
but the pinstripe is the giveaway...
super duper find.
dave in NC

City
Lanexa
State
VA
another round of pics for yall. I poked my head around a little more... The chrome door “cups” need replaced. It needs a bushing kit for sure, they are 35 years old after all. Under the truck looks about average, only minor surface rust from a quick glance. Also noticed it has the soft top still in the bag behind the seat...

Attachments

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
As far as the wheels I am confused what others are saying above about chrome. These are indeed the original white wagon wheels with black stripe. They are also the original 1985 tires too I can tell without a doubt. Don’t paint these wheels. Try some washing and polish first. Then if you want something different get chrome and put these away safely. They are invaluable to the originality of this amazing example.
I missed the black stripe - they looked like hazy chrome wagons to me :)

And that white soft top is going to be a treat. That storage bag may be the only one in existence.