• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Suspension Advice

joaquin suave

Legacy Registered User
City
Rancho Oceano
State
CA
First of all let me apologist for not visiting/ posting for a long time. Sadly my CJ-8 named Mayahual (The Agave Burro) has not seen any use for her intended purpose as my small adventure rig for the last couple of years. However hopefully that will be changing soon, but first I want to do a "body off" restoration. I figured that if I had the bare frame in front of me ( mounted to a fixture/ welding table) I might as well build a "state of the art" RIGID AXLE suspension. :unsure:

So you guys "in the know"... What is you opinion???

Here are a picture of Maya:

vestabule.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
JT axles with 74weld portals with coilovers.(set you back a BIG bunch of $$$$$$) Stated of the art for a Jeep with stage coach axle technology from the factory.:shrug:

joaquin suave

Legacy Registered User
City
Rancho Oceano
State
CA
Thanks for the input! I'm going to stick with the stage coach axles... Less moving parts. Speaking of which have you guys ever seen what a seized brake rotor does to a HummV driveline and suspension? Fricken spectacular!!! Like a land mine without power burn!

Yeah, I was thinking coilovers, but wouldn't ever consider portals ( I've got several buddies that own Mog's and experienced the issues).

I'd like to see what people are doing for raised shock towers (front and rear), and locations for the pivots. The Atlas transfer case mount is machined from billet so I could work off of that but rather do weldments on the frame that could be more structural all the way around.

I might also go for smaller tires/ rims.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Nice rig! Post more pics please!

How hardcore are you planning on wheeling it?

I'm pretty happy with my spring over suspension. Rides smooth and provides good enough flex to do the Rubicon Trail. That's as hard as I will be doing.

Here is my build thread: https://www.cj-8.com/threads/voodoo-blue-82-complete-refresh.52225/

A few guys here used the TDK frame with Jeep TJ coil suspension. That is a great option for you to consider.

joaquin suave

Legacy Registered User
City
Rancho Oceano
State
CA
Nice rig! Post more pics please!
OK, here is the power train:

Mercedes OM602 DE2.9LA inner cooled, turbo charged diesel, with a hybrid mechanical pump connected to a Getrag wide range 5-speed and mated to an Advanced Adapters T-case.

good-to-go2.jpg

joaquin suave

Legacy Registered User
City
Rancho Oceano
State
CA
So you can pass smog test in Cali ?
Didn't need to. The motor was newer that the vehicle and the referee could not "rap his brain" around the technology. The motor was used for the USMC "fast attack" G-wagons ( German vehicle with "who knows" in it on the way to ruin your day).

I got it from a testing lab in the original Mercedes box with less than 30 hours on it!

Casa_Toad.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Hs that RV been featured in a TV show. It looks VERY familiar.

joaquin suave

Legacy Registered User
City
Rancho Oceano
State
CA
We all probably "need" more pictures of that motorhome too. That is super cool.
I will be more than glad to... After the moderator adds a new section for "What are your other Rigs?"

How hardcore are you planning on wheeling it?

I'm pretty happy with my spring over suspension. Rides smooth and provides good enough flex to do the Rubicon Trail. That's as hard as I will be doing.

Honestly I am just looking at all components and options. Smaller rims and tires, with more travel and some kind of better dynamic compression with better turning radius???

boojum.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
A few guys here used the TDK frame with Jeep TJ coil suspension. That is a great option for you to consider.
If I were you, in that same spot, this is exactly what I'd be doing. Solve the issue of the stock chassis construction in a chassis you'll never have to worry about (and a better platform to start modifying if you're going to add anything) and get a great-riding suspension at the same time with an off-the-shelf suspension kit of your choosing.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Get with TDK and have them build you a frame with all the coil ove suspension brackets installed.