• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

switch to EFI...

Azbball11

City
Weston
State
WI
Good Morning and Happy Friday.

I have a 350 sbc in my scrambler and looking to switch to EFI. Any suggestions on what has been proven to work well with the 350 setup? As I stated before, very new to the car game so for lack of better words - I am a novice when it comes to things like this, but I am learning slowly.

Appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, or "Stay away from this one..."

Thanks in advance

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Factory GM TBI is pretty tried and true....and came factory on SBC 350's. You won't ever make 1000 hp with the GM 2bbl TBI variant, but they are about as simple as you can get for "efi" while minimizing the amount of changes you would have to make to your current setup.

Next step would be a newer TBI clone in 4bbl configuration, like a Holley Sniper or FAST Ez EFI. Still a bolt on and go option for your current 350. They seem to have 90% good reviews on them, but there have been some issues documented and the lingering question of longevity.

The top shelf option would be an LS swap. Much more elaborate since it is a bit more electronics and a whole new engine, but a very tried and true solution to EFI power and reliability. Not a cheap or simple option though.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’ve done several TBI swaps and they are about as simple as it gets. You can get an intake adapter or just get a TBI intake. You’ll need a higher pressure fuel pump, and then all the electronics- but it’s not that bad. Also have to weld in an oxygen sensor bung. A weekend job. I think I still have a TBI harness out in the shop. It’s the easiest and most cost effective- and most all parts are common and available at your local parts store.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I did an FiTech first. It was a nightmare. I switched to the holley sniper and i love it. It's a year old with 7000 miles now.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I’ve got a Howell tbi system on my 360. It’s simple, easy to install and has been reliable. It’s also supposed to be the same as a GM factory system.

RockTractor

Basic User
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
I put a Megasquirt system on my last Jeep. Loved it.

It was a great first step into FI for me as the system I installed only controlled fuel, not spark. Get a 350 TBI off of eBay or from a junkyard, a TBI adapter plate online, and everything else is easily sourced at your local auto parts store.

It really doesn't get much more simple than this:

ms2-relay-board-gm-tbi-wiriing-diagram.jpg

Azbball11

City
Weston
State
WI
Happy Monday everyone!

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am still looking at all options. I don't plan to drive the Jeep in the winter to protect it from the salt, so I have some time to figure this out. I am trying to put together a list for "winter projects" on the Jeep and talking with some locals that have some time to offer a hand.

Thanks for all the help so far - greatly appreciated.

Azbball11

City
Weston
State
WI
I am really going to show my skill level here. Looking at the Holley kit conversion, is this what I would need to make the change? I do run a HEI distributer so I would assume this will work with that setup?
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550-510K/10002/-1

Also for those that suggested the TBI kit, I am a little confused on what I would need? I hate to ask, but would anyone be able to provide a link for what I would need to purchase as far as a kit?

Thank you all so much - like I said, I am learning every day and hope to be able to help others in some way down the road.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
TBI kit

Holley Sniper EFI

I am running the sniper on one of my jeeps.

Nevermind, you have a SBC.

Just be sure the intake to carb flange shape matches the EFI kit you pick.

The TBI setups mentioned above would be “collect the parts from a wrecking yard” type deals.

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
If you go with the Sniper I suggest you go with someone like this vs JEGS or Amazon - you stand a better chance of tech support(I have not used them)
Also read the Holley Sniper Forums - lots of good material
Also check out this guy( again I have not used, he sells GM equipment mainly for IH vehicles) - good info about GM throttlebodies

I put a Sniper on my 258 - and ave been pretty happy with it, but be prepared to spend some time tuning - for me it didn't work out of the box.

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Hmm never seen links do that before, wonder if i'm allowed to do that?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
If you are fairly confident in your mechanical abilities and somewhat savvy in general automotive electrical and fuel systems, a DIY TBI setup should be fairly easy. If you need to follow a set of instructions, then getting the Sniper or similar kit might be the best idea.