• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Switching from 258 to 304. Need help!

Hacksaw

BOOMER SOONER!!!
City
Cushing
State
Ok
Hi, I just bought a nice running AMC 304 v8 with the CJ engine towers to bolt this thing in. My question is, my factory trans is the TF999. Will the flexplate from the 258 bolt on the 304, and is it the same balance as the 258? I know everything elese will work, just didnt know if I needed a different flexplate? Also, will my factory ignition box work with the v8? Thanks guys.

Shawn

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
The factory ignition box will work, there's no difference. You do need to get a 304 flexplate. They aren't too expensive, I got one for my 360 from 4 Wheel Drive Hardware. AMC V-8s are externally balanced, the flexplate is unique to each displacement engine.

Hacksaw

BOOMER SOONER!!!
City
Cushing
State
Ok
I asume that the torque converter will still work. If so, will this produce a higher stall speed with the v8 rather than the v6? Most of the apps. I have delt with like, cheep hot roders using a vega torque converter which is arround 8 inches will give you a much higher stall speed than a stock torque converter behind a small block chevy engine. Will this be the same with the AMC apps?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Smaller torque converter equals higher stall speed. I run a stock converter, the same one I used with a 258. You don't want a higher stall speed for offroad, it would keep you from being able to crawl or go as slowly offroad.