• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

T-176 Top cover bolt size

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Found a bolt missing on the top of my 86 CJ7 tranny. T176, bolt is pointed out in picture.anybody know what size, thread, length it should be. Picture was taken from passenger side. Thanks
20200913_204839.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I can't remember the size, BUT there are two "special bolts" mixed up with the rest of them. If I remember correctly, all the threaded holes are the same, bolt lengths are the same. Two of the bolts have fat bodies below the hex head, like a dowel pin, to help align/position the cover correctly.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I can't remember the size, BUT there are two "special bolts" mixed up with the rest of them. If I remember correctly, all the threaded holes are the same, bolt lengths are the same. Two of the bolts have fat bodies below the hex head, like a dowel pin, to help align/position the cover correctly.

Thanks, I thought there where a few "special bolts" but it's been 10 years since I had a top cover off a t176

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I have my freshly rebuilt one here in the den. I might be able to remove a bolt if you can pin point which one on mine. image.jpeg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Yes. At least it's just a normal hardware store bolt. Thanks.