wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Local family has an 85 XJ for sale that runs and drives for $500.

Looks like these early XJ's had a 2.8 V6 that didn't have a good reputation, and a 904 Automatic (possible CJ donor?)

Pros and cons of the early XJ's. For that price for a running and driving 4x4 I'm tempted.

OnlyinaJeepCJ

Legacy Registered User
City
Mobile
State
AL
Due to the firewall shape of those early years, forgot about a 4.0 swap if or when the V6 craps out. If I had to have an XJ, I'd spend a few hundred more and get a later one. Yes, those are cheap too.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Thanks Ed. I was looking at it for a beater or parts donor. Figure if the transmission is good it might be worth the purchase price and scrap the rest.

That said, I'm guessing the TF with that 2.8 won't bolt up to a 258 and Dana 300, will it?

Around here the 4x4 XJ's aren't cheap.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Do you know if it has the 2.8 V6? My first vehicle was an 86 and I had the 2.5L I4. Loved it. The engine outperformed my friend's with the V6.

If it is 4X4 and runs, I would say it is worth it. Does it have the 2 doors or 4? I had the 2 door and love the look, especially with the rear venting window on the sides. I wish I still had that. Of course after rebuilding that 2.5 twice, we would have done a swap of some sorts. Though I did not know that you could not do the 4.0 in it. That is a shame.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
xj.jpg

The woman has had it listed since July. I thought the ad said it was a 6 cylinder but I just asked for confirmation.

2 door.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Looks like it might clean up. Like the 2 door.

FYI, that tailgate should be fiberglass. Mine was on the 86. Not an issue other than the interior panel has little plastic push in things to hold it on. They loosen up in the fiberglass and rattle like crazy until you just pull the dang panel completely off.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Good points above. My 86 Comanche with 2.5L is way better than the 86 XJ I had in college with the V6. And yes on the rear gate fiberglass , on my 89 XJ I hid a bunch of drywall screws in the carpet part of the rest trim panel along with sound deadening thick tape to stop it rattle.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I'd pass. Unless it's free. First gens don't have a lot of good stuff and fixing them becomes a constant chore. I'd pay a little more and find one with a 4.0 made 91 or newer. Much better platform.

Sent from my SM-N930V

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Interesting. For $500, I think it's a pretty good buy... IF it's not full rust!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
It sold over the weekend. Probably a blessing that I didn't go look at it. I spent the weekend cleaning out the shop and was reminded how many unfinished projects I have.