Tapping Aluminum for Helicoil <<<what a $$$$$>>>

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
What am I doing wrong? I need to install some helicoils in my TF727 tailshaft housing. This is where the D-300 mounts. The holes I need to fix are the bottom two where the tranny mount goes. I have drilled out the original threads using the bit from the Helicoil kit, I can't get the Tap from the same kit to start threading into the Aluminum. The tap starts to load up with aluminum, and then it won't cut. I have tried running the tap by hand, and also in my drill. Cutting fluid is Liquid Wrench. Please give me some tips....

Thanks,
Tom

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I was reading that one as you replied. I was hoping for an "experienced" response. I have tapped steel many times with great success. I didn't realize the aluminum would pose problems. I actually thought it would be easier because it is softer. I think that the softness makes it more difficult because the tap would rather strip out the new threads than pull itself into the hole.

Thanks,

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Tapping aluminum is a lot like steel but you have to be extremely careful that you don't move the tap as your turning it because it'll just pull the threads that you just cut. I always use WD-40 with aluminum and have good success with it. For some reason cutting oil doesn't work well.