• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Taterdogs 1982 Scrambler build

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Here we go againā€¦šŸ˜Ž

So Taterdog hit me up last year about putting a new body on his scrambler. We talked a few times and he brought the scrambler down so we could go over everything. At the time I was working on Mikes scrambler so that gave him time to compile the need parts for this transformation.
So the plan is to remove the old rusted out tub and put on a new metal tub from out of the Philippines. Along the way we will address some other issues. Game plan is he wants this to look and be as good as my dad blue scrambler, so stay tuned!

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
It showed up running on three cylinders. Found that mess in between the engine and firewall. PO had a 4.0 installed with a painless harness and an ax15 trans.
8B9AD1FC-D4AC-49FF-9385-CF262C19846E.jpeg
88BDE276-C847-4F8E-A26E-5B6FE06532B6.jpeg

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Got some more stuff torn down today. Going to have to pull some stuff out of my stash to get this one back together. Front clip is back on to check fitment.
D6D79885-754A-455F-9CAD-67A4DFD8B479.jpeg
D9C4BB28-DB86-417A-87DB-83062957D344.jpeg0404DCB5-F779-46FA-BAC6-ACC49402600B.jpeg
Rats nest for engine wiring.
AA96F710-3715-4CE1-97B6-6E108E9677F9.jpeg9A177DEF-D164-4E7C-A17F-3782EF51FB00.jpeg
Heater and fresh air boxes have seen better days.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
So, been slacking in the pic dept. when to nationals in CO so that slowed things down. As we are still waiting on a new frame to come in around Oct. when we tried to put the front clip on thing were, how do I say this? A bit off. Upon closer inspection we found evidence that this jeep has been hit in the front before. Since Jim plans to carry around his kids in this we ordered a new frame.
Jim did come down before nationals and took a lot of the sheet metal parts to the painters for prep and paint. The body has been disassembled agai after we made sure all the pieces and holes have been drilled that are needed. The tub has been put on the rotisserie and raptor lines on the inside and the bottom for protection.
BCFCC45D-BB53-4906-B3DF-88A6DC556D38.jpeg
Rockers for put on

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
To get the bulkhead in this new tub the bottom has to be cut down about and inch. Fixed some unwanted holes and dents while I was there

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I love those TDK frames.

Other than the bulkhead issue, any other problems with the MD Juan tub? How do the doors fit?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Jealous (not of having to deal with that body, just that it's being done right)