TDK CJ8 Hy-brid frame with TJ the suspension, anyone?

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Isn't there one underway here? The one that was being built for a customer/friend who backed out. In WV IIRC?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Isn't there one underway here? The one that was being built for a customer/friend who backed out. In WV IIRC?
I remember that one, was looking for a new owner to take it over when he finished at a nice discount because the original guy had dropped a hefty down payment already. Don't think he ever posted on that one again that I remember

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
I bought a TDk frame and did normal leaf springs. I thought long and hard about the TJ setup. What I couldn’t wrap my head around was it would be a CJ body on a LJ frame, axles and drivetrain(tcase at least). Sounds like a fun project if you have the time.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I found the thread I was thinking about, the guy goes by Shark Bait, but I was wrong, he's using a JKU frame and an Aqualu Scrambler tub.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLD 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I have the TDK frame with leaf springs and wish I had gone the coil route when I built it. It wasn't in the budget at the time.

Having said that, I'm pretty happy with the Rubicon Express Springover/Bilstein 7100 shock setup I have now. The ride and articulation is great, but the ride height is still a little higher than I would like.

rubclt

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
The TDK Hybrid frame has body mounts that are about 2” higher than stock. Think of it like a 2” body lift. S suspension choice needs to be considered. Not sure if non hybrid TDK frame uses same body mount design, others could comment.