• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Temp Gauge odd reading

Zppy

City
Navarre
State
Fl
Hello, This '82 8 is new to me, summer here in Florida, temp was 200-210 Degrees. We have had cold for Florida in the 30's consistently for a week. Temp does not really get above 180, even over a 20 mile run, Heater does not blow warm air really, it did. I believe the PO said they put a 4.0 head on the original block. could this be a thermostat issue, or is the engine just staying cold because of low temp?
TIA,
Dave

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If the heater hasn’t been rebuilt, chances are there’s a pile of trash in the heater box blocking it from working or the heater core is blocked up. You can try reverse flushing the core, but that may actually cause it to start leaking.

Zppy

City
Navarre
State
Fl
Thanks. I thought of that, My real concern is the Engine running cool. I know the greater concern should be running hot. Even with the cold nights it gets up into the 50's in the day time and should allow to get to normal operating temp (200-210). Other thoughts?
Dave

Dave The Sparky

Welding is not for me....
City
Halifax
State
UK
The standard heater isn't the greatest hence the Bllazer motor upgrade stuff, but thats no reason for your engine to not warm up as it should..

I would agree with you and start by blaming the stat being the wrong temperature rating or faulty and along with the amount of cold air coming through everywhere cooling the block its enough to do what its doing.
If you dont have time to check the stat or get covered in coolant you can try shoving a piece of cardboard or thin board in front of the radiator to block or partially block it and see if that helps, had to do this on my old series 2a Land Rover many years ago in winter or it would never warm up either unless worked hard.

Keep an eye on the temp gauge if you do this though! 😁

Zppy

City
Navarre
State
Fl
So, I have twice added Coolant, I do not see a leak, I do see extra fluid in the Reserve reservoir. I occasionally smell coolant but I never see a leak. Changed the oil, it was clean (no Water or coolant. Still boggled by the lower temp than Normal, even with a lower coolant level. More thoughts?
Dave

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Have you replaced your radiator cap? Sounds like it's not letting it get to temp before releasing coolant.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Looking on Rock Auto the 2 stat choices are 180 and 195 so maybe a 180 stat is what is installed and as its cold thats where it is staying.
Its not going to be cold for long in Florida surely?

Zppy

City
Navarre
State
Fl
I Did, I ended up doing a flush, and also removal of the transcoder that was cut and just in the way. Runs cooler now 190°, but still fluctuates. I am also now running into a starting issue, like turns over but won't light, Starter fluid works occasionally, wondering if it is pressure block in the fuel system, I hope it is not a sending unit. Has a Howell fuel injection, so it is not in my 3 volume manual.
Thanks Guys
Dave

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Another thing to check is that the Howell needs the pulse from the tach signal on the coil to work out when to fire the injectors, if there is no pulse it wont open the injectors. This comes across like a fuel issue, but its not.