• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

" Texas Emissions "

JEEPNJAX

Legacy Registered User
City
Magnolia
State
TX
Texas Folks Only - Please,

I'm thinking about taking a job in Houston Texas.

What are the State / Emission requirements ?

Do they require a "SMOG Check" ?

Do they require an "Under-The-Hood" physical inspection ?

Do they give you any greef if you've upgraded from the stock 258 I6, to a FI SBC350 V8 ?

Are there any height / width restrictions ?

If anyone knows of any other concerns, please feel free to let me know...

Thanx,

Jax
JEEPNJAX

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
The vehicle is supposed to be equipped with the emissions stuff that the manufacturer put on it. i.e. Cat, muffler, EGR... Mine has an LT1 under the hood with most of the emissions stuff, no problems with getting it legal. Smog checks are required in and near the major cities. Some places do under hood inspections others don't. As far as height and width, I think it's not past the mirrors and the bumpers can't be more than like 60 inches or so off the ground (it's been a little while since I've read up on it). Basically, as long as it's not a monster truck, it's legal.

Houston is very humid though...

Tobe18

Basic User
I live in Tyler, The only restrictions here are, the vehicle must be equipped with stock emisions setup at time of inspection. As far as size, I asked the dps here, and they said if you can drive it in one lane, go for it. hope this helps.

Tobe

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Humid? you shoulda been here yesterday!

I'm not the definative expert here, since my Scrambler is in pieces...If you live in Houston you have to pass the sniffer test. You will need a CAT and the other emissions stuff that goes with it...

Engine swaps aren't a big issue, as long as it passes the sniffer test.

I used to take my old big block suburban out of town for inspections just to be safe....

It was really humid yesterday...I got about 8 inches of rain in 5 hours....

City
Houston
State
TX
Plenty of people run tires completely out of the wheel wells with no problems. Law says you get 3" past the flare, its not enforced.

JEEPNJAX

Legacy Registered User
City
Magnolia
State
TX
Thanx Guys,

I'm not absolutely sure I'm headed that direction yet, but since I'm thinking about it, I thought I'd better start checking. A man's got to keep his priorities straight, ya know...

Where to start...

I'm running 35's on top of a SOA conversion, and my tires are completely covered by 6 inch fender flares, so I should be good to go in that department. But it does sport a few new ideas though... A few more inches of lift, offset rims, maybe 37's - 39's... Help, stop me...

As far as weather goes, coming from seattle I'll have to get used to the heat, but rain - you don't know rain until you've lived up here. The year before last we had rain (not drizzle) for 110 day straight. Now that's wetage... Cool MUD !!! See, there's a plus to everything...

ENGINE STUFF... The FI 258 I6 I pulled out of it (California Legal) only had a Cat on it, so when I dropped in my FI SBC350, that's all I put back on it. I pass the sniff test here, so if that's the only kicker, I should be able to pass it there. I'm not sure what other Emissions Stuff they might be looking for ???

SO, On to more important things - How's the wheel'n down there ??? I told you I have my priorities straight... What kind of wheel'n do you do ? Where at ? Bla Bla Bla...

Thanx for all the info... Keep it coming...

Thanx,

Jax
JEEPNJAX