• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

TF-999 kickdown linkage

EdeC

'84 Ak Postal Scrambler
City
Seward
State
Ak
Has anyone ever found anything on adjusting the kick down linkage on a TF-999? I've noticed that my jeep has stopped downshifting automatically when passing and going up hill. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Ed

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
There's not much to it. Check out the linkage to be sure it's not broken or missing a bushing. If it's all there, there are only 2 ways to adjust it and only one screw to loosen and tighten in the linkage. It's done at the carb end; either shorten the linkage or lengthen it. Then test drive it. My guess is that you need to shorten it a little, due to wear.

EdeC

'84 Ak Postal Scrambler
City
Seward
State
Ak
That sounds easy. I'll get under there tonight and see if I can't make it worse.
Thanks

mrachal

Basic User
City
Conroe
State
TX
I have a 999 in my Scr. I bought a Kit from a company called LOKAR. They have a cable type kit I also purchased a carb. bracket. When installed it is adjustable at the carb which makes things easy to adjust. Summit Racing handles Lokar.

Mike Rachal

OBXTucker

Basic User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Yep, you definitely want the LOKAR kit (if you don't already have it). I'm running the same product and I'm almost positive John N is as well.....

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
OBXTucker said:
Yep, you definitely want the LOKAR kit (if you don't already have it). I'm running the same product and I'm almost positive John N is as well.....

Nope, I'm still running a pieced together linkage. Stock parts from my Scrambler and pieces from an '80s Waggy. It's working, but the Lokar product is much better than the stock stuff and a difinite upgrade. It's easier to adjust and less trouble overall.

EdeC

'84 Ak Postal Scrambler
City
Seward
State
Ak
dumb it down for me

I was going to try to avoid this question by consulting Mr. Chilton but he was no help.

Where is the kick down linkage and what does it look like?

I know what you’re thinking…”This guy doesn’t need to be anywhere near the jeep with a wrench.”

Anyway thanks for the help.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
No worries man... we were all there once!

The kickdown linkage is on the drivers side of the carb and connects to the throttle linkage. It runs down from there toward the rear of the jeep, going under the firewall and it connects to a small rod/lever on the tranny. The back part of the linkage is ~.25" round rod and the part that connects to the carb is a piece that has parallel small rods that run from the carb down to a connector with a nut/bolt where it joins the bigger rod. This is where the adjustment is made. You get to it from in the engine bay, not underneath the Jeep.

Here's a pic of the part that connects to the throttle linkage on the carb (the part that's captured by the pin/clip thingy):
kick3.jpg

and at the very bottom right of this one is the nut/bolt where you adjust it:
kick4.jpg

Last edited:

EdeC

'84 Ak Postal Scrambler
City
Seward
State
Ak
Thanks for all the help.

I adjusted it slightly in both directions and the transmission never downshifted on steep up hills. Then I adjusted it all the way in both directions and still it didn't make a difference. I realize that I went about asking my questions is wrong order but now I'm wondering if the kickdown linkage even does what I think it does (which is downshift on steep hills when the motor begins to bog down in 3rd).

Thanks for the pictures Big Walton.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
EdeC said:
Thanks for all the help.

..... now I'm wondering if the kickdown linkage even does what I think it does (which is downshift on steep hills when the motor begins to bog down in 3rd).
It should do that. Make sure the linkage is all connected and not missing any bushings. It sounds like it has too much slack in it.

rollbar

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Harbor
State
Fl
100_2215sized-1.jpg

I have one, not to install it. We will see. any tips on the LoKar install?

Thanks,
Jim