• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

TF999 or TF904 or TF909?

canzo

equal opportunity annoyer
City
Alexandria
State
VA
I picked up what looks to be a TF999 today, but I can't see a difference between pictures of the TF999, the TF909, and the TF904.

How can I identify the transmission for sure as one or the other?

2d Question: Does this need a steering column shifter or a floor shifter?

:confused:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
canzo said:
I picked up what looks to be a TF999 today, but I can't see a difference between pictures of the TF999, the TF909, and the TF904.

How can I identify the transmission for sure as one or the other?

2d Question: Does this need a steering column shifter or a floor shifter?

I can't say what the differences are, do you know what it came out of and what engine it was connected to?

Yes, you'll want a shifter, they make driving it a lot easier. You don't have to keep crawing under the Jeep to change from park to reverse and then again to drive...probably safer too. Spouses hate holding the brake while you do this and they really hate it when you make them crawl under there just because you're already in the driver's seat.
OK, I couln't resist......you can use either and you'll need a TPS linkage too (also called a kickdown linkage).

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
City
Milford
State
MA
AVOID LOKAR SHIFTERS AT ALL COST! Their product stinks to say the least.
hope this helps,
-Will

canzo

City
Alexandria
State
VA
Gee, thanks, John. You're...such...a...big...help. Yeah. Really. Thanks for the great help. :confused:

Fool, thanks for the tip. No Lokar.

Can anyone help me ID this thing?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
There's virtually no difference between them. The 909 is exactly the same as the 904 except that it has a lock-up torque converter. As far as I know, the 999 is also identical but it came later in the YJ's and the early ones had a mechanical lock-up converter and the later ones had a electronic lock-up converter.

As John asked: what was bolted in front and behind of?

Read this thread and get back to us:

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=offroadjeepshort&Number=1267643&Searchpage=1&Main=1267643&Words=tf904+sevensandeights&topic=&Search=true#Post1267643

canzo

City
Alexandria
State
VA
Yeah. Forgot that John asked that. :o They guy I obtained it from said it came out of a CJ7 with a 258 and a Dana 300.

From the thread you sent me to, Sevens, it should be a 999. Thanks. :) I will also be checking the number as shown in the thread.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Should be a 999 in that case. From my understanding, the Jeep version 904 was used behind 4-bangers, and the 999 was used behind 6-bangers...to the best of my knowledge the 909 was never used in CJ's. Other than different cases for different engines (these *are* Mopar trannies), the differences appear to be all internal with the Jeep versions having lower first gears and the 999 having additional clutches and a wider front band. 904 is considered light duty, 999 is considered medium duty. You can use the Mopar deep trans pan for additional fluid to help prevent slippage on hill climbs, the TJ re-usable pan gasket, and shifters & shift kits for the 904/998/727.

I'd always heard good stuff about the Lokar shifters, care to share your experiences Will?

B

BritScrambler

Jeepskate said:
...to the best of my knowledge the 909 was never used in CJ's....
"AHHHH NOT so grasshopper! I drive a TF909 in my Scrambler! Of course it WAS added last year in place of the standard transmission... :cool:

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
City
Milford
State
MA
IMO Lokar costs alot of money for something you have to customize a large amount ......just not a good design for the 999 and their tech support and customer service wasn't good either. Never could get the shifter to work correctly.
-Will

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
FORUM OWNER
City
Lexington
State
SC
more questions to add to the thread

Jeepskate, can u elaborate on this verbage? "You can use the Mopar deep trans pan for additional fluid to help prevent slippage on hill climbs, the TJ re-usable pan gasket, and shifters & shift kits for the 904/998/727". I didn't think the the newer TJ automatic was a TF999 is it?

I have a 999 from a YJ (sensor in the housing) and going with a 4.0 and YJ harness all the way through just lengthened etc. If you recall, I also have a AFW coil frame that can bolt up TJ axles. I'm waffling with stock TJ 44's or waggy 44's and swapping around the drop to regular CJ side.

For those of you who have a 999 in a CJ assuming you have one of these attached? Wondering if I need this to go from a wrangler 999 to a 300 going on the drivers side drop instead of CJ side drop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8013562299&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Or am I still going to have to buy the clocking ring, and flip it completely? And not use this at all?

I still have not fully decided on front passenger side drop or drivers side yet. been waffling with this 300 flipping/rotating transfer case issue back and forth vs cost of a cheaper 44 front wagoneer front axle. But, really would like a 300 over a bolt in np231. And I really would like to avoid the incrementalism and have to go back later and mod both driveshafts if I swapped out the xfer case.

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
FORUM OWNER
City
Lexington
State
SC
rebuilt..

also, anyone know of any good even net places that will rebuild a 999? Mine was bought condition unknown for $50 and figured it was worth it even just as a core and it was the YJ type with sensor mounted.

Was definitely going to have it rebuilt.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
donaghy said:
Jeepskate, can u elaborate on this verbage? "You can use the Mopar deep trans pan for additional fluid to help prevent slippage on hill climbs, the TJ re-usable pan gasket, and shifters & shift kits for the 904/998/727". I didn't think the the newer TJ automatic was a TF999 is it?

The current 4-speed is not, however the 3-speed is. They call it a 32RH same as the YJ.

I have a 999 from a YJ (sensor in the housing) and going with a 4.0 and YJ harness all the way through just lengthened etc. If you recall, I also have a AFW coil frame that can bolt up TJ axles. I'm waffling with stock TJ 44's or waggy 44's and swapping around the drop to regular CJ side.

Essentially the same thing I was doing until I sold the 4.0 to Fisherman and bought a 5.9.

For those of you who have a 999 in a CJ assuming you have one of these attached? Wondering if I need this to go from a wrangler 999 to a 300 going on the drivers side drop instead of CJ side drop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8013562299&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Or am I still going to have to buy the clocking ring, and flip it completely? And not use this at all?

That part is the same CJ to YJ, so you're okay if your trans still has it attached but will need it if not. You'll still need to make or buy a D300 flip kit to go driver side drop.

I still have not fully decided on front passenger side drop or drivers side yet. been waffling with this 300 flipping/rotating transfer case issue back and forth vs cost of a cheaper 44 front wagoneer front axle. But, really would like a 300 over a bolt in np231. And I really would like to avoid the incrementalism and have to go back later and mod both driveshafts if I swapped out the xfer case.

I'd go with the Waggy front. Can't see spending the extra money for a TJ 44 *and* a flip kit.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
donaghy said:
also, anyone know of any good even net places that will rebuild a 999? Mine was bought condition unknown for $50 and figured it was worth it even just as a core and it was the YJ type with sensor mounted.

Was definitely going to have it rebuilt.

I've still got a nice, clean c. 29k '94 YJ 999/32RH with deep pan on it sitting in a corner of the garage for $400. Includes torque converter and I might even be persuaded to throw in the B&M shifter and Trans-Go shift kit for a few bucks more...

canzo

City
Alexandria
State
VA
Jeepskate said:
I've still got a nice, clean c. 29k '94 YJ 999/32RH with deep pan on it sitting in a corner of the garage for $400. Includes torque converter and I might even be persuaded to throw in the B&M shifter and Trans-Go shift kit for a few bucks more...
Speaking of shifters, etc....

I understand I need:
1. Shifter
2. Linkage
3. Kick down (TPS)

Questions:
1. Am I missing anything?
2. I have a steering column from a Waggy with the shifter on the column. Would this be a compatible swap for the Scramber steering column?
3. Where can I get this stuff? Junkyard?
4. Would I go to the Jeep dealer to get the Mopar pan and TJ pan gasket? Or is there someplace 'reasonably' priced to get these?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm interested in any info on the deep pan for the 999 as well. I would assume that it comes with a longer pickup/filter setup as well, right?

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Canzo, if you're doing a swap from a stick to the auto, you'll also need the metal trans mount & torque arm...they're kinda hard to find...took me a couple of years of digging around off and on to find mine.

tranmount1.JPG

tubecross.jpg

From what I've heard, the Waggy column will work with some minor mods (I think there's a collar that needs to be removed). The linkage will be the difficult thing to find, I'd probably just get the Lokar cable linkage kit or just go with a floor shifter. The throttle position linkage is also difficult to find (I sold the extra one I had), so another cable setup is probably going to be the way to go there as well unless you get lucky or have the time to look for months.

Re-usable gasket: dealer or Ebay
Mopar deep pan: Jeg's if you just want the basic steel or you can spend more and get the anodized one that Skyjacker sells. It comes with a spacer & longer bolts for the filter (new filter included).

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=23239

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
That trans mount, the 'w' shaped thing, might still be available from the dealer. I bought one a couple of years ago. I welded up my cracked, old one and gave it to OBXtucker, it's in use on his now.

rollbar

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Harbor
State
Fl
bigwalton said:
I'm interested in any info on the deep pan for the 999 as well. I would assume that it comes with a longer pickup/filter setup as well, right?

Ditto.

RollBar

P.S. We did a auto swap from a stick & my friend needed the tranny cross/torque brace & he bought it from JeEp.

OBXTucker

Basic User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Actually, the welded one John N gave me is no longer in use and "available". :)

I ended up fashioning a new one that's working pretty well.

Unfortunately, it's not in great shape - but it yours if you'd like it. PM me to swap info.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
rollbar said:
Ditto.

RollBar

Jeepskate said:
Mopar deep pan: Jeg's if you just want the basic steel or you can spend more and get the anodized one that Skyjacker sells. It comes with a spacer & longer bolts for the filter (new filter included).

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=23239

Also (once I figure out which box I stuck it in) I may have the mount that I bought for the Scrambler available soon. Working with a buddy to fab up a custom tubular trans/t-case crossmember setup for my doubler and likely won't be incorporating the stock mounting bracket.