Breal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Stay with me on this because I think you will find this to be very cool and beyond coincidence but requires some explanation...

I know that the design of the CJ-8 was originally built on consumer demand for a longer wheelbase and more cargo area with the CJ-6 and CJ-7 at its foundation but there appears to be more to it than some Jeep designer just deciding that the scrambler would have a 10 inch longer wheel base and a longer rear overhang.

I was recently reading about something that I found interesting and that I will let you read about in your free time if you don't already know about them, the Fibonacci Numbers and the relationship to the Golden Ratio.

According to Wikipedia the Golden Ratio is defined as this: “in mathematics, two quantities are in the golden ratio if their ratio is the same as the ratio of their sum to the larger of the two quantities.” I know, it makes my brain hurt too but it goes on to say, and I paraphrase “Many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing. Mathematicians since Euclid have studied the properties of the golden ratio, which can be cut into a square and a smaller rectangle with the same aspect ratio. The golden ratio has also been used to analyze the proportions of natural objects” Apparently the average human face also applies to the golden ratio. When you measure the width of your face you’ll find that the height of your face is 1.6 times longer.

Some additional cool history… “Some of the greatest mathematical minds of all ages, from Pythagoras and Euclid in ancient Greece, through the medieval Italian mathematician Leonardo of Pisa and the Renaissance astronomer Johannes Kepler, to present-day scientific figures such as Oxford physicist Roger Penrose, have spent endless hours over this simple ratio and its properties. But the fascination with the Golden Ratio is not confined just to mathematicians. Biologists, artists, musicians, historians, architects, psychologists, and even mystics have pondered and debated the basis of its ubiquity and appeal. In fact, it is probably fair to say that the Golden Ratio has inspired thinkers of all disciplines like no other number in the history of mathematics.” You can continue your understanding on Wikipedia if you like…it’s actually really cool to read about.

You still with me? Don’t get bored yet, it’s about to get really cool.

Basically, when you remove all of the nerd talk the Golden Ratio is equal to a number and that number is 1.618033…. and if you take any given number, lets say 100, and divide it by the golden ratio you end up with 61.8, then divide 61.8 by the golden ratio you get 38.2, then you divide 38.2 by the golden ratio and get 23.6 and so on for an infinite number of times. Now, if you take any two consecutive answers and add them together you end up with the larger number above them in the sequence. For example, using the numbers above, if I add 23.6+38.2 it equals 61.8 and if I add 38.2+61.8 it equals 100 and so on hence the golden ratio. I think you get the idea.

Now…for how this 2,400 year old discovery applies to the 1981-1985 Jeep Scrambler. As I was reading about the Golden Ratio for some reason I kept thinking of the design and shape of the Scrambler and began to become curious that if the golden ratio has been around for thousands of years and can be found in nature, used by a multitude of professions and deemed as being aesthetically pleasing and engrained into our human subconscious, I began to wonder if the Jeep Scrambler was in anyway related to the Golden Ratio and then began to think if it was, could I figure out the most aesthetically pleasing tire size. I know, I know… my mind wanders a lot.

So, I grabbed a tape measure and went outside to take some measurements and I also looked up a few Scrambler vehicle dimensions and figured out that the Jeep Scrambler was actually designed around the 2,400 year old Golden Ratio.

Here’s how I came to that conclusion. Please keep in mind that the Golden Ratio is used in approximation and my calculations come within and inch or so of the true measurements… additionally you have to imagine looking at the Scrambler from a direct side view and then be able to section it off into squares and rectangles.

The Jeep Scrambler is 177 inches long and if you start with that number and then begin applying the golden ratio you end up with the following sequence of numbers (rounded to the tenth decimal place for ease); 177, 109.4, 67.6, 41.8, 25.8, and 16

Here’s how those numbers relate…

177 inches = total length of the Scrambler
109.4 inches = the length from the base of the windshield to the rear of the tub
67.6 inches = the overall height of a bone stock Scrambler from the ground to the top of the windshield
41.8 inches = the base of the windshield to the rear edge of the door
25.8 inches = the bottom edge of the tub to the top of the hood
16 inches = the height of the tailgate and thus the height of the bed floor to the top edge of the bed walls.

Now, back to my theory on the most aesthetically pleasing tire size based on the Golden Ratio. If you were to use the sequence of numbers listed above you would end up with a tire size of 42 inches which would be too big in most instances or a tire size of 26 inches which would be too small. However, if you take another measurement, from the bottom edge of the tub to the tip-top of the windshield you get approximately 50 inches. Also, if you measure the front of the hood to the base of the windshield you again get 50 inches. Now if you apply the Golden Ratio to that 50 inches you end up with 31 inches. So, based on those dimensions and the Golden Ratio, the most aesthetically pleasing tire size is a 31-inch tire.

So, what say you? Am I crazy?

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Wow... you really do have a lot of time for measuring... I thought it was going to be as simple as 177 / 1.6 and you get the length of a CJ7 or a 5 or older... lol.

cb

City
Glendale
State
Az
I for one, agree..!! however(comma)

the widest 31 is a mere 10.5.. NOT asthetically pleasing..
and since the next closest size in which a 12+ is available..

I give you.. the 33-12.50/15 !!!

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
I for one, agree..!! however(comma)

the widest 31 is a mere 10.5.. NOT asthetically pleasing..
and since the next closest size in which a 12+ is available..

I give you.. the 33-12.50/15 !!!
There's also a BFG All Terrain 32x11.5 that might be a good compromise

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
I wonder how many people after reading this measured their faces to see if they were in the average category. :)

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Yes they were! And yes they are 10.5's. I am now trying to figure out if I an put the on 15x8's or if I have to stick with 15X7's

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Where were we ? ;) Oh tire sizes. U will find lots of great threads on here redking for tire comparison decision help. Just use that search feature its great.