Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Hey all! So, I've had to sell my 8, body/frame I was building. I got to lee the drivetrain, and the VIN. I'm being a packrat with all that til next winter. If y'all remember, I picked up a nice little 85 CJ7 in September '15. And I've wheeled it hard, to the point where all the bondo and patches fell out of it. This being a year of scrimping and saving, I'm gonna build it on the cheap. I bought a tub from a YJ from a buddy, cheap, I've wheeled and dealed an AX15 with clocking ring to mate it to the D300, along with a hydraulic clutch assembly, and a wilwood brake assembly. I also captured a unicorn. An 86 CJ7 rear D44. The rear and front ends will get 4.56 gears and spools. Cause the spools are cheap. And since she's a trail rig, I can live with them. I can always unlock a front hub on the mountain switch backs we run in BC, if need be.

I also got a full on comp cage, which will be going in, attached thru to the frame. With harnesses.

The end goal is quick and dirty, and back on the trail ASAP. Cause I have my kids YJ to get up and running for him this summer too. Once these two are clear of the garage, my CJ 8 version II project can commence. But I need something to wheel this summer. So, sit back, enjoy the ride, as always, feel free to comment, and critique. I always appreciate the advice I get from you guys. This crowd is definitely up there, in my estimate! Cheers!!

The last is a teaser. From what I understand, this beastie was bought from the builder, and has all but disappeared. I like it. I have parts. I have the skills. And I really like it. This is along what I'm planning for my 8 next year.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yeah, it is a bummer on the Gaucho that he hasn't done anything with it... which is why I gave up on trying to buy it and will build my own ;)

cb

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Yeah, it is a bummer on the Gaucho that he hasn't done anything with it... which is why I gave up on trying to buy it and will build my own ;)

cb
I understand that life gets in the way, but man, it's such a shame to see it vanish into history. I was reading the original build thread, and his follow up.

CB, you're building one? Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!! This I gotta see!! The thing absolutely thrills me. Convertible, windshield dropping doors off expedition machine!! I need this in my life!! LOL!!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Who owns the Scherb built Gaucho? Sounds like some people on this forum knows!

Sent from my SM-J320P

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Who owns the Scherb built Gaucho? Sounds like some people on this forum knows!

Sent from my SM-J320P
It is a guy in NJ (Not Eric... he wants it too;) )
It is a typical life gets in the story.
He has a YJ too I think and the plans were to get it going, so he acquired parts, etc.

I haven't heard from him in a while... I think he got tired of me PM'ing him over on JF

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Craig, what are you using for a tub? I see a bulkhead in there!
Not exactly sure what it was to begin with... it almost seems hand fabricated in places.
I got it because I was told it might be a CJ-10 or CJ-8 originally.
The title is for a CJ8.

So, I went for it, had it shipped... came with a lot of other parts, so it was worth it to see if it was a good starting point.

Yes there is a bulkhead in there, and it is perfect, so it will come out, I will get some corners and close in the cab like the gaucho was done.
The frame will be lengthed somewhere between 1-2 feet, I just have to get the dimensions correct.

I am going to put the tub/fenders/grille/hood/windshield frame/1/2 top/doors on and make sure it all bolts up, so that is the plan for this week.

I am still waiting on some parts and some steel to lengthen it.

Fooling around last night

cb

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Is that on a CJ 8 frame? I'm thinking it is, and it's making me redraw my mental sketches. I'll definitely be stretching a frame too. That's gonna be cool!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Is that on a CJ 8 frame? I'm thinking it is, and it's making me redraw my mental sketches. I'll definitely be stretching a frame too. That's gonna be cool!
That is an aftermarket CJ8 frame from TDK... I will cut it right below the rear most body mount for the cab, add 20 inches give or take and then I think proportionally it will be good.

cb

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Nice. We're gonna have to keep notes, and compare. My plan is a wheeling rig that I can live out of for several weeks. We have a trip planned for summer 2018 that will require it. And require something built and the bugs worked out of it. Nothing like biting off more than I can chew. Jeepers

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The last is a teaser. From what I understand, this beastie was bought from the builder, and has all but disappeared. I like it. I have parts. I have the skills. And I really like it. This is along what I'm planning for my 8 next year.
My only issue with the Gaucho Scherb built was the height of the bed with the top on. The lines just never worked for me, personally. This is what I was always hoping to see happen (rough photochop):

gaucho bed board.jpg

Can't wait to see what you do with this :thumbsup:

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
I know what you mean with the body lines. The brute has the right body lines, with the top on. But with the top off, the body lines are right! And I try to have top off and doors off as much as possible. I'm still torn on which I like best, so it'll be a matter of looking at it, both ways, when I actually get there. I'll have a low cargo rack in it, and bed slides, so I'll definitely be experimenting with it

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Ok, progress. I had the bearing pressed off the stock D300 shaft, got the required machine bolts for the clocking ring, got 2 AX15's, hydraulic master for the clutch, AX15 clutch, and more crap I'm forgetting. Tonight, I'll get the tcase and tranny mated, and mock it into position. This weekend, I'm borrowing my buddy's welding rig, and I'll get after the body mounts, and some metal touchups.

And the oldest decided that he may as well get his YJ in the garage, so he could get started on the lift, the AW4 tranny with NP241OR Rocktrac tcase (4:1), the grand wagoneer D44's, since, you know, Dad's in the garage, and can help him. Like I don't have enough on my plate already. I swear, sometimes I don't think things thru ;)

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Hmm. Well, been awhile, hasn't it? Pretty much missed a summers worth of wheeling or anything good. But, hey, life progress was made. So, time for jeep life again. As you can see above, I got my hands on a slightly used CJ 7. With a 350. Of course, it's a western Canada jeep, so it's rusted to all hell. TH350 with an NP205 transfer case. Dana 30 front, M20 rear. I'll throw pics of my progress up, and a quick list of what's being done. Tub swap, YJ tub. 700r4, mated to D300 to replace the TH350/NP205. LSD front, 4.10's for gears. Rear will be a CJ D44, with eaton elocker, 4.10 gears. FI-Tech efi. Metalcloak fenders, poison Spyder armour. Front/rear bumpers, warm power plant winch. Lots of lights. More as I remember and do it. Cheers! Hope everyone is well, I know I FB with a ton of you guys, and IG too.

Oh, and my scrambler is still in pieces, is still mine, and will be in the garage as soon as this 7 is out and on the trails again.