• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The Irish Twins

Mistrornge

Basic User
City
Shepherdstown
State
WV
I have been working on two different Scramblers as well as a 1983 CJ7. The CJ7 is mostly complete at this point.
The first Scrambler I got home in January 2016.
129400AD-9A80-48AF-8954-27C2D40A57E0.jpeg129400AD-9A80-48AF-8954-27C2D40A57E0.jpeg
it was not in good shape and I paid way too much for it.

Mistrornge

Basic User
City
Shepherdstown
State
WV
ADB6CC32-ABD6-43F8-825D-8A703B22C4A2.jpeg

it’s been a misadventure get it safe. The underside was rusted through in several places and requires quite a bit of replacement parts (Classic Enterprises). The previous owner basically let it rot. It was full of half ass fixes. Fiberglass to hide rusted through spots, terrible patches poorly drilled “repairs”, etc.
Getting the body repaired was also painful. A local body shop did little before pawning me off on a local welder who did decent work but tried to keep the project going forever so he could sap as much money as he could. Getting it out of his garage required a police presence and a last $400.
Finally found a decent welder who did a lot of patching.

Mistrornge

Basic User
City
Shepherdstown
State
WV
i have pulled apart the Dana 30. The pain. So eventually the plan is to put a Quadratrac TC into this thing. So reworking the axle has been a headache.
Wheel hub went from 5 to 6 bolt and I am going to use the end caps from a 78-79 (So no locking mechanism). Right now I am trying to get the wheel hub onto the spindle. I don’t remember this being a huge pain when working on the CJ7. But damn I can’t seem to get the wheel bearing to slip over the final ring of the spindle. I have test fit the second, but same size bearing and it fits. Any tricks I should know?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
i have pulled apart the Dana 30. The pain. So eventually the plan is to put a Quadratrac TC into this thing. So reworking the axle has been a headache.
Wheel hub went from 5 to 6 bolt and I am going to use the end caps from a 78-79 (So no locking mechanism). Right now I am trying to get the wheel hub onto the spindle. I don’t remember this being a huge pain when working on the CJ7. But damn I can’t seem to get the wheel bearing to slip over the final ring of the spindle. I have test fit the second, but same size bearing and it fits. Any tricks I should know?
It all has to do with alignment. The clearance is so tight that if you don’t get it straight on it binds up. I’m assuming you checked the spindle edges for burrs?

Mistrornge

Basic User
City
Shepherdstown
State
WV
pulled and sold the body off the twin. So an opportunity to clean some areas that need it.

Attachments

• C3C49B5A-E6F3-487E-8FF6-9869EF4581E4.jpeg
    C3C49B5A-E6F3-487E-8FF6-9869EF4581E4.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 10