• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The School Project CJ 8

Teched-VT

Basic User
City
Derby
State
VT
View attachment 14047

View attachment 14048

View attachment 14049

The idea of the students working on my Scrambler was a little scary, but with the proper supervision from the Auto teacher and myself we were able to resurrect the old Scrambler from the bone yard to the road. I teach the welding class, we had our work cut out for us. We completly boxed the frame in and rebuilt the body. Auto did the running gear. Its a 83 Scrtambler with 155K on the clock. 1 1/2" shackle lift with 33" tires. THe Warn winch was added a few weehs ago after I got stuck on a log. We are currently doing a SOA lift. Pics soon

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Nice. We like them pix so keep them coming.

Truck

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
City
slatington
State
pa
Not too bad. I could grab another rust bucket off E-bay for next years project. :D

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Nice! Moved the thread to the ScRamblings forum so folks can find it better.

Cool that the students got to work on such a sweet ride.:cheers:

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Nice. How'd you like to do another one next year? ;) I got all sorts of holes they could practice welding on. :D

Teched-VT

Basic User
City
Derby
State
VT
Weekend run

SOA done Friday right at the end of school. Got pic. trying to get them off my phone, no luck. Went out Sunday afternoon and snapped the axle 300 feet down the trail. Looking for a Dana 44 to solve that problem. I'll patch it up tonight and ease it along for a while till I find the rear end. 4.10 gears made a huge improvement.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Where do I get to the forum, I'm blind at the moment. Thanks

I don't know what you're asking exactly, the ScRamblings is just a different location on here, you obviously found it because you're posting on the thread.

In the upper left side of the thread window, you'll see these links that show which section you're in:

Jeep Scrambler Forums & Discussions > Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler Discussions > CJ-8 Sc Ramblings > The School Project CJ 8

I just made it so that this thread is listed under the CJ-8 ScRamblings section, I think it was in the technical problems/questions section before. That's where people post issues or problems with the forum software.

CJeep

Scrambled
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Easton
State
CT
Wow. a 258 and 33" tires should be hard to break the AMC 20, unless you were good and stuck UNLESS you stripped the key in the 2-piece axle. For a lot less work, you could swap in 1-piece axle shafts. Since you have lots of fab stuff in your shop, welding the tubes and even adding a truss, and all together you will be as strong (maybe stronger) than a D44.

Don't get me wrong, I swapped in an '86 CJ-7 D44, but if I had all of the fabrication tools and skills, I'd have just beefed up the AMC 20.