• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The story of Peggy's jeep.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Peggy was a very fun, interesting person. She married my grandpa in 2005. She was very witty and funny, also a bit blunt. My grandpa was often out of town working so when I would call to see if he was around I would often just talk to her. She knew that I had my other grandpas 53 CJ3a that I was restoring. She had “some oddball jeep” in the words of my grandpa. To him power steering and power brakes were a bad thing. For years, I would call and end up talking to Peggy more than my grandpa. I would always joke that I was going to buy her Scrambler, knowing she would not sell it. At the time, I didn’t even know what a Scrambler was.

Now, the sad part of the story... Peggy got a rare form of cancer. She tried various forms of treatment, but it was clear to her that the treatments were not working. They were also making her very sick and weak. Peggy was one to want all of her affairs to be in order, to not leave a mess when her time came. My parents were visiting one day when Peggy offered to sell her beloved Jeep to me. The main thing that she wanted was for us to fix the Jeep up and use it. She was afraid of it just sitting and rusting away. Her real desire was for someone to care for the jeep and love it the same way she did.

After the deal was complete, and check signed, my dad called me to ask what condition it was in. I said that I didn’t know, so I asked him what it looked like. He didn’t know as he hadn’t seen it either. He then asked why I wanted it if I haven’t even seen it. I replied that I like all Jeeps! Luckily, aside from a bit of rust on the tub, mainly floor pans, the Scrambler was in good shape. It also had the original window sticker and all documentation for mechanical work.

This all occurred in late 2011. After she made all her final wishes known and got her affairs in order, Peggy decided to stop her cancer treatments. She passed away in early 2012.

The last time Peggy drove her jeep:
IMG_3258.JPG

After the buying the jeep (now named Peg, or Peggy), I researched scramblers and found this site. I have found tons of resources and advice on how to do work on any part of my jeep.
Here are the first pictures my dad and I took of the Jeep:
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3259.JPG
IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3263.jpg

The focus on Peg will be preservation, rust removal, safety and fun!

rubclt

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I had a family member named Peggy pass from cancer.. I wish you well in your restore, Hail to Peggy!

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Since I was a "lurker" for so long I have plenty of things I can add to this thread.

Peg has been well loved and taken care of since I've been in possession. We have done regular maintenance and repaired anything that has broken. So far I have rebuilt the carb, new spark plugs, new fuel pump, new water pump, new alternator and replaced the front u-joints. Only thing I need to work on soon is a new front output seal on the Dana 300.

Peg and I have worked together on yard work.
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_3459.jpg

When my wife and I were expecting our first child, it was Peg that hauled the baby room supplies home.
IMG_0036.jpg

We have also went on some trips together.
Little Sahara, OK
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2091.jpg

Taos, NM
IMG_1973.jpg
IMG_1977.jpg
IMG_1988.jpg

Mena, AR
IMG_2399.jpg

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
That's awesome! You've got a true survivor there, with some good background... I'm looking forward to seeing more of Peg's adventures! :cheers:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks for the comments!

Found a picture of when we brought Peg home.
View attachment 58672

Pegs first full day in OK, luckily we didn't have any damage. Many others weren't so fortunate.
View attachment 58673

After bringing the jeep home I did a bit of work, still trying to keep the original spirit of Peggy's jeep. I took the chrome grill guard off to help shorten the overall length. Then removed the half hard top and put a bikini top on. I don't plan on ever removing her Yosemite Sam mud flaps or the air horns.
View attachment 58674

First off-road trip, Macomb OK.
View attachment 58675

Lexington OK later that year.
View attachment 58676
View attachment 58677

While the Tahoe did an adequate job of towing, hauling Peg around as often and far as I did helped me decide to get a diesel tow rig. I typically towed the jeep at 62 mph in 3rd in the Tahoe. This would get 13.5 to 14 mpg average. The Tahoe had the towing package and 3.73 gears. If it had anything lower it would probably have been a real dog towing the jeep.

I replaced the Tahoe with a 2009 lmm duramax. The difference is night and day, and should be. I tow the jeep 10 mph faster in 6th gear at about 1700 rpm, no down shifting, and get 15-16 mpg.

hdttm

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
I'm sure you and your family will make many new memories in that Scrambler. What a great tribute to her!

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
This is fantastic! I love that it is getting use and not just sitting! That is the best legacy and I'm sure Peggy approves!

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks for all the replies. It's fun to see folks that I have followed for years see what I've been working on.

At first my wife wasn't sure she liked Peggy (the jeep of course). To her it just looked like an old rusty vehicle. Once the top came off that all changed. I think she loves the jeep as much as I do now. Before the trip to Taos we decided that we needed to share all the fun we have in the jeep with others. I replaced the original seats with bestop buckets and a fold and tumble in the back.

This setup worked great for us, until our family grew. Once our son arrived we quickly realized that we wanted more protection as the factory roll bar had very little coverage in the rear. I brought an Eastwood manual tubing bender with 1.75 dies. I bought the handle from Eastwood for $20, but a longer piece of 1x2" tubing works better. More leverage is a good thing .120 wall 1.75" tubing is amazingly sturdy.
IMG_2222.jpg

We also would need a bit of shade to keep the sun out of his eyes. I made the top from sunbrella awning material. It works pretty good but I think I will add some snaps to better hold the top in place.
IMG_2363.jpg

Since this picture was taken I added diagonal braces tying the main hoop to the rear and from the rear to the sides. In hindsight I wish I would have made the soft top a bit larger to block more of the sun off rear seat occupants. Also, I may have made the roll bar to wide at the top. I would like to get a full hard top, if this bar won't work I will sell it and build a new full roll cage.

We started jeeping with our son, having fun driving around. We then took a trip with some friends to Arkansas. Our friends loved riding around in Peg and before we knew it our scrambler family grew. My friends wife informed him that he could get a jeep... as long as it was a scrambler. After a bit of searching we found this, thanks Kenton!
IMG_3075.jpg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks for all the replies. It's fun to see folks that I have followed for years see what I've been working on.

At first my wife wasn't sure she liked Peggy (the jeep of course). To her it just looked like an old rusty vehicle. Once the top came off that all changed. I think she loves the jeep as much as I do now. Before the trip to Taos we decided that we needed to share all the fun we have in the jeep with others. I replaced the original seats with bestop buckets and a fold and tumble in the back.

This setup worked great for us, until our family grew. Once our son arrived we quickly realized that we wanted more protection as the factory roll bar had very little coverage in the rear. I brought an Eastwood manual tubing bender with 1.75 dies. I bought the handle from Eastwood for $20, but a longer piece of 1x2" tubing works better. More leverage is a good thing .120 wall 1.75" tubing is amazingly sturdy.
View attachment 58801

We also would need a bit of shade to keep the sun out of his eyes. I made the top from sunbrella awning material. It works pretty good but I think I will add some snaps to better hold the top in place.
View attachment 58802

Since this picture was taken I added diagonal braces tying the main hoop to the rear and from the rear to the sides. In hindsight I wish I would have made the soft top a bit larger to block more of the sun off rear seat occupants. Also, I may have made the roll bar to wide at the top. I would like to get a full hard top, if this bar won't work I will sell it and build a new full roll cage.

We started jeeping with our son, having fun driving around. We then took a trip with some friends to Arkansas. Our friends loved riding around in Peg and before we knew it our scrambler family grew. My friends wife informed him that he could get a jeep... as long as it was a scrambler. After a bit of searching we found this, thanks Kenton!
View attachment 58803
Great thread! Glad to see more Scrambler addicts being added to the group.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
We've talked about the scramble event this year, long drive but I think it would be worth it. Let me know when you are around this area!

Took some pictures of some cool documentation for the jeep.
IMG_3283.jpg

Originally sold in Littleton Colorado.
151 i-4 SR4 (258 swapped with original hydro clutch now).
3.73 gears with trac loc

I find it interesting that the side boards were an $85 option. Also, the sunroof was almost $500 on the half hard top. I'm not sold on the rubberized undercoating. If they would have prepped it better it likely would have done better rust prevention. Also, if the $496 sun roof wouldn't have leaked the floor pans likely wouldn't have rusted out!

I will try to get some pictures loaded showing the rust repair process, although I've seen many better welders than myself here. The direction of this project is to make this the family fun machine. I want it to look nice, but still take it on trails. I hope to get it painted this spring. We will see how far I get....

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Now that the history has been covered, I’ll move on to work that I’ve done and future plans.

First off, Peg was in good shape. The body was straight and pretty much everything worked (even the fuel gauge). The bad was the rust. It started life in Colorado, and then moved to Nebraska. Unfortunately, there was a bit of rust, the worst of which was around the floor pans. While Peg looks fairly original, it was repainted at some point. Sadly, this repaint and rust repair was limited to bondo and fiberglass floor pans. Luckily the jeep was stored indoors, so the rust didn’t spread quickly. Oddly enough, while the tub had some rust the windshield frame is rust free.

IMG_1827.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg
IMG_3200.jpg

I am sure fiberglass seemed like a great idea to fix the slightly rusty floor pans. I hope to never work on something that had this “repair” ever again. The fiberglass seemed to shore up the floor pans. The downside is that it stores water between the steel and fiberglass causing additional rust. This also caused the rust to spread to the edges of the fiberglass to the tub.
IMG_3198.jpg

It also had a tonneau cover on the back. Since I won’t run one I filled all of the holes from the snaps.
IMG_3010.jpg

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
More rust repair.

I planned on making my own flat front fenders as the stock fenders had some rust. My wife loves the jeep as well and vetoed that idea. The rust was only through the outer layer of the fender. I cut it out and patched it.

I am new to the whole posting in a forum thing. My pictures/documentation of work isn't the best. I need to take more pictures.
IMG_3196.jpg

Repairing a previous repair. This was one of two areas I found bindo on Peg.
IMG_1751.jpg
IMG_1758.jpg