• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The story of Peggy's jeep.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Haven’t done much with the scrambler other than drive it for the past few months.

Went to crossbar ranch in Davis OK last month.
557334C5-D096-4AE4-A7E5-E1511C5F95BC.jpeg 6491F3AE-CCB1-4EC2-8B9C-54F75986D76D.jpeg 13DD8D47-EAA6-48A5-A740-957312C8C109.jpeg EEAFE9CF-A1D1-4537-AAA0-1F06B52DE603.jpeg

Decided to add a bit of traction to the front.
B693D1DB-B0DE-4551-8B87-EFD66D8E9F51.jpeg 01924478-9A47-4889-B564-8C0715010D72.jpeg

No photos of the install. Installing the locker was easy, but I had a few related things that took forever to resolve.

Dissasembly was pretty easy. I did see that my brake pads were worn, so I ordered a new set. Rotors were well within spec. Everything with grease was nasty and needed cleaning and repacked.

The passenger side axle shaft ujoint took 4 hours to change. I broke a vice before resorting to a press. Was ultimately successful, just wasn’t as fun of a project as I hoped it would be.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
The passenger side axle shaft ujoint took 4 hours to change. I broke a vice before resorting to a press. Was ultimately successful, just wasn’t as fun of a project as I hoped it would be.
Guessing this was on disassembly? There's a very cool brute force BFH method I've used since I saw it (on here) that gets every joint I've ever dealt with out in seconds/minutes. I've used it after people couldn't use the socket/vise method and the caps popped right out. My thought is that the difference between an impact load to break it loose from the shaft and attempting to press out an old cap is huge.

Big_Mark originally posted it and the photos in his thread are now gone, so I just recreated it linking a video. I've referred to it enough over the years that it's worth redoing for a new "generation". Thanks for the "nudge" to do this:

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/u-joint-removal-hammer-and-vise-method-no-sockets-involved.49165/

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
That's a great video and the same technique we used on the farm. I've never had it fail me, until this front axle shaft. The caps were pretty rusted in. I started with a normal sized ball peen hammer, then a 3 lb mini sledge. When that didn't work I put the joint in the vice, put and put it under load. Still nothing so I decided the best plan of action was to whack the vice with the mini sledge to give a shock load. This promptly broke the back half of my vice off.

Then I went and used a friends press (what I should have done from the start). It took quite a bit of effort to push the old out. Enough that the ears of the yokes were bowed slightly in. The C clips wouldn't be able to lock the new joint in place as they were. I improvised and used 2 3/8" bolts with washers and nuts pointed tip to tip with a bushing to keep them aligned. When you tightened them together it would spread the ears back apart. After that, the new joints went back in and the clips went tightly in place.

Just wayyyyy more work and effort than I have ever spent changing U-joints - including the glued in GMs.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
As for the Spartan Locker.

In 2wd with hubs unlocked you obviously don't notice it since nothing is turning.

In 2wd with hubs locked you may hear some clicking in turns. I couldn't hear it, so I jacked one tire up at a time and spun it both directions. Light clicking.

In 4wd with hubs locked you will notice a difference. Especially on pavement, or anytime with good traction. If you coast through a turn it will ratchet. However, most turns under power will cause scrubbing and binding since the locker will be engaged.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Final thought for the day. I wasn't planning on lifting Peg too much, but I fell into a BDS 4" lift.

I am now wondering if I should keep and twin stick the Dana 300 already in it or use the NP241C with SYE installed that is sitting in my garage.

The twin stick might be nice to take the front out of 4wd when in low range to make turns.

Happy Jeeping!

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
I am now wondering if I should keep and twin stick the Dana 300 already in it or use the NP241C with SYE installed that is sitting in my garage.

The twin stick might be nice to take the front out of 4wd when in low range to make turns.
What would be the benefit of the 241C over the D300? I'm personally a fan of gear cases over chain. I'd keep the D300 and twin stick it, if it were my decision.