The Wild Cherry.....(cj8 #2 quick buildup)

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
I'll get to the name of this thread later, but as some of you know, I picked up an 83 cj8 with a chevy 350, sm465, stock axles, homebrew springover, with 36" tires this past spring. The interior was shot, but the frame was good, the body was pretty good, and the engine ran strong!

Here's a pic of it in the condition I bought it:

The suspension and steering were nothing that would pass inspection around here (to say the least) and since I already have a bigger jeep that I'm (slowly) building, I planned to drop this back to spring-under. Also, when I bought it, the larger tires combined with the V8 had trashed the front ring gear in the stock axles. I had some stock axles with 4.56 gearing and ARBs (front and rear) waiting for this jeep, so the first thing we did was go to a 4" SUA lift and down to 33x10.5 tires.

Here's some shots of the axle swap:

Still had the homebrew shackles, but I’ll deal with that later…. Oh, also note the braided steel air lines (red on the front axle) that I used for the ARBs. I bypassed all the solenoids and relays and went with pneumatic switches...I'll show that to you sometime later.

At this point I took the jeep on a 4 wheeling trip to New Jersey. It still had a lot of issues, like the boat gas tank between the torn up seats, the slightly loose steering wheel, only the rear ARB working, etc., but it did surprisingly well there.

About three weeks before this year’s Va 4wd run, I got a little more serious and began to try to get it ready for that trip. We stripped the inside of the jeep, masked off the outside, and did a little rattle can job in the driveway.

First the primer:

Then the paint. We picked out the color by looking at the paint can lids. Then we noticed that the color is called "Wild Cherry" which we thought was kind of funny considering that I have been using the "WildTurkey" userid for so many years.

After painting it, I wire-wheeled the entire inside and then rolled on a coat of Bondo brand bedliner. I was VERY satisfied with the results…time will tell if it will hold up:

OK, I am limited in the number of pics I put in each post, so I will post a reply with some more info.

-Mike

Last edited:

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
The engine compartment needed a little attention.

I repainted the compartment black, replaced the battery tray, and installed a battery hold-down. We got the power brake MC from my other cj8 (going to hydro-assist on that one). You can see the new borgeson steering shaft I installed. I also installed a new steering column, AGR2 superbox, Big Daddy steering box mount, new rubber fuel lines and filter, new (used) gas tank, chrome valve covers and chrome air filter (should’ve polished them for the pic!). You can also see the cadillac air compressor I mounted under the hood. It is used to run the ARBs and also has an air chuck if needed:

Installed all the interior stuff, redid some switches, etc. I’ll get pics of that stuff later. Here’s a pic of how it looked at the Va4WDA run:

Also installed all the lights and a Warn winch/Tomken bumper (doubles as an air tank) combo that I picked up in new condition at a used price (I love it when that happens!). You can see I replaced the old shackles with Daystar 1.5" lift shackles.

And we were actually able to wheel it!

More to come at a later date…I’m going to keep improving this, including swapping in a 700r4 tranny, going to 35x10.5s, and a bunch of other stuff.

-Mike

City
Floyd
State
VA
Cool

Neat thread, Mike. I'm glad you were able to find a quick project to fill the gaps in your other project!

jimmyrig

Head Nut at Outdoor Logic
City
Riverside
State
ca
Very nice, Love the paint job
A couple of questions for you. How do you plan to run your 700r4 and clear the front drive shaft? Or are you just going to let it hang low.. I am having trouble clocking the t-case and clearing the front drive shaft. Also what kind of exhaust manifolds are you running….ram horns?

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
Thanks for all the replies! Glad you like it, and to tell youthe truth, if I had any idea that the paint job would've come out that nice, I would have done a little body work first! I was just trying to get it to look a little better for the Oak ridge event!

jimmyrig said:
Very nice, Love the paint job
A couple of questions for you. How do you plan to run your 700r4 and clear the front drive shaft? Or are you just going to let it hang low.. I am having trouble clocking the t-case and clearing the front drive shaft. Also what kind of exhaust manifolds are you running….ram horns?
I'm hoping to get it flatter than the existing t/c. I defintely need more center clearance. Here are a couple of threads I've found that give some good info:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222633

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467810

I am going to ask for some more specifics on that soon, too.

As far as I know, the motor has the stock manifolds on it, but I am not sure. To tell the truth, I haven't really looked that closely at them (I'll see what I can find later tonight.). I am also going to call the previous owner and try to get a little more info on what the drivetrain came out of.

-Mike

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
1x1_Speed_Craig said:
That rattle-can paint job turned out pretty nice, Mike! :) :cool:

Craig
He is a professional!! You may not get similar results at home......:rolleyes: :D

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!!

Finally a thread on this bad boy!

John N said:
He is a professional!! You may not get similar results at home......:rolleyes: :D
Hah, I was going to say the same thing!!! The paint turned out great on this. The bedliner is enough to make me want to do it on mine... looks awesome in person.

cmd8

Basic User
City
asheville
State
nc
great story

looks like you did a geat job with really not haveing to spend to much outta pocket..kinda makes me feel alot more lazy after reading your post.better get into the garage and make up for lost time!thanks for the motivation...

Scott Mine

Legacy Registered User
City
Arnaudville
State
LA
Jeep

I am hoping i will see that one or the BIG one out there in Windrock this coming year. I am sure i will huh. LOL!!!! How what the event in Oak Ridge? Looks like it was a little chilly. LOL!!!!