Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
What do you guys use for grease? I'm referring to the snout on the trans where the throw out bearing rides. The problem I'm having is that if I do any water crossing, the water gets in the bell housing and will wash off the grease. Then the bearing scores the snout. I now have to pull this thing apart again for the 3rd time in 2 years and replace the bearing and snout. And no, I can't just stay out of the water. Water is unavoidable at times where I go and I also use the Jeep to launch my boat. The boat launch is shallow so I have to go pretty far out. I had been using high temp red grease but quickly figured out that it washes off easily. Any help would be appreciated.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I usually just "polish" the snout with fine grit emery cloth and apply a film of marine axle grease. The stuff I had was thick and purple; super tacky and shed water pretty easily. Never had any issue in my crawlers doing that, and they saw water frequently. Just have to be sure not to get carried away to the point that a glob would get on the pressure plate.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Go buy a small pack of "5th wheel" grease. Our local NAPA sells them in small, individual plastic packets. That stuff is hard to wash off. I use it in the stock lower steering column "bell thingy", works good :twocents: