Tilt wheel upgrade

cruser

Legacy Registered User
City
Buffalo Gap
State
TX
Does anyone know of any issues with upgrading to a tilt steering wheel ? Specifically the ignition input on top of the column ( behind the dash) blocking the brake pedal movement ?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Direct bolt in replacement as far as I know (assuming you are using a CJ tilt column and not something out of a GM car/truck). The part of the column below/behind the dash is pretty much the same as a non tilt column.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Bolts in. The only change was rotating the ignition switch wire harness 180 degrees to plug in to the switch.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
yep but don't get the yj column .. 87-91 have the same key as a cj7-8 the steering shafts are different.... so don't get mixed up when buying them...

cruser

Legacy Registered User
City
Buffalo Gap
State
TX
Thanks for the feedback. I may have a issue with the switch ( 2 plug ). Is that the one you are referring to to rotate 180 ? I am certain it has the rod connected to it.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I swapped one into my CJ5 years back and it was very simple. I don't recall needing to do any mods to the column or Jeep.

City
Evans City
State
Pa
I have used a few FSJ waggie columns ,they are a little longer but work fine you will need to melt the plastic or get an adjustable shaft

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Glad to see you got her fixed up.

Just in case anyone else is looking at this thread in the future-

An XJ Cherokee column is a cool way to go. The bottom sheetmetal flange on the column base needs to be removed- super easy with a grinder. The bottom shaft is "double D", so when you get the column, get the shaft going down to the steering box too. Use the top half of the Cherokee shaft with the bottom Scrambler half. The Cherokee shaft has a vibration isolator too, sorta neat. Anyways, the ignition switch plugs in, and you now have a column mounted hi/lo beam switch that also plugs in. And, if you want, you can use the column mounted wiper switch with a simple rewire. I really like having all the controls on the column.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
An XJ Cherokee column is a cool way to go. The bottom sheetmetal flange on the column base needs to be removed- super easy with a grinder. The bottom shaft is "double D", so when you get the column, get the shaft going down to the steering box too. Use the top half of the Cherokee shaft with the bottom Scrambler half. The Cherokee shaft has a vibration isolator too, sorta neat. Anyways, the ignition switch plugs in, and you now have a column mounted hi/lo beam switch that also plugs in. And, if you want, you can use the column mounted wiper switch with a simple rewire. I really like having all the controls on the column.
That sounds like a nice upgrade. Is there a thread with more details/pics anywhere?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I did this on my Scrambler. I didn't take many pictures at the time, it was about 6 years or so ago. I'll see what I can dig up if you're interested.

Also, if you get a Cherokee column with interval wipers, and have a 4 wire wiper motor, grab the interval box too and you can have interval wipers!

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Yes please, any info you can come up with would be appreciated. Any year of XJ better than another (I'm thinking an early model might be better)? There are a bunch to choose from at the local JY.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
stafford
State
va
Glad to see you got her fixed up.

Just in case anyone else is looking at this thread in the future-

That is completely ANTI-CJ and I'll have no part of it !!!

scrambler228

Legacy Registered User
City
council bluffs
State
ia
all our jeeps are a mix of the best of other cars

Hi i just have to jump in here..... dont know why any newer part that works and makes the jeep work better would cause anyone to object to it use...... think about what our jeeps
are...... when amc made the scramblers they used parts from all the other companys,,,,,, the motors ( the iron duke was a gm motor and the trans was from ford the steering
parts or some of them were also gm..... and just look at how it all came out......it is a mutt....... everything i have done to my scrambler has made it better than i was and i love
making it better.......... just my 2 cents