• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Tipsy

CJ8R

CJ8 Owner
City
Laramie
State
WY
In about the next week or two I will hopefully(and finally) be starting my SOA conversion using skyjacker 2" lift springs. But everyone around my neck of the woods is telling me that I am going to regret it beacause my jeep will be too top heavy and that pretty much the SOA conversion is a bad idea. Now everything I have read on the internet has said nothing but good things about this. Only one guy I know has done an SOA and didnt like it because of axle wrap problems and a busted AMC 20. Am i stupid to go through with this conversion and just wasting my time and money. Is my jeep gonna be a lot more tipsy than now with skyjacker 4" SUA and 1.5" lift shackles and cheap skyjacker shocks

highlander

Basic User
City
Santa Cruz
State
Ca
Just go for it. The total lift will be around 7" so it will be higher than it is now. The ride quality and ground clearance you gain are a big plus. The other guy you mention probably had to soft a spring ( and you can always fab a traction bar if you need it ) and the AMC 20 is not a strong axle to begin with , so I wouldn't blame the breakage on the lift.
Just be sure you research it well as you will need a lot of parts.
Better start saving for tires , extended brake lines , new driveshafts , steering components etc.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
Sams offroad in Tulsa Oklahoma makes a great traction bar that will stop any wheel hop and not limit your flex or axle travel-JC:p

CJ8R

CJ8 Owner
City
Laramie
State
WY
tipsy

I have all the parts to do the conversion, I had planned on doing it quite a while ago but am just now getting around to it. I have some brand new 35"s on it right now so I won't need new tires. All I'll need to do is get longer drivelines and new shocks. Like i said, I will be using skyjakcer springs and they are pretty soft. I really just want enough room for my 35"s with no rubbing at all, it has a 1" body lift too. Right now I figure there is a total of about 6" and I just want to gain about another inch or two. I think the extra ground clearance under the skidplate would be nice too. Thanks for the help.

City
Houston
State
TX
I had 35s on mine with SOA with stock springs. The only place they rubbed was on the inside of the front fenderwell. I have an 81 with narrow trac axles so if you have anything newer you shouldn't have this problem. My rear fenders are cut a little larger but the fronts are stock sized. You probably should be able to get by with some good no lift aftermarket springs. Especially because you have a 1" body lift. And if you go this way you probably won't need new driveshafts. I've had mine this way for 3 years and never had a problem and all my driving is offroad.

CJ8R

CJ8 Owner
City
Laramie
State
WY
springs

If I could get by with using stock height springs and have enough room I would much rather go that route, especially if I can do with out new drivelines. Where is a good place to get some stock height springs? Thanks for the help

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I believe Jefe has suggested the JC Whitney stock replacements for SOAs before...

Kyle