Tire age and wear

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not...

I have questions on tires, age, and wear. From what I have read, tires aged over 10-years are considered a hazard. After contacting BFG, they concur...over 10-years replace them.

The reason I ask is that the tires on my new Jeep are way undersized (215/75R15 BFG TA/KO). I want to go back to a more stock size. My Grand Wagoneer has some 30x9.5x15 BFG TA/KO...which is exactly what I want on the new Jeep; and, lucky enough, these smaller tires should fit the GW very well, until I get the money together for a lift.

My concern is that these tires are at least 5-6 years old with around 50-60k miles. There is a TON of tread left on them (honestly I have never worn out a set of BFG TA/KO tires yet). I am worried about overall integrity. My fear would be a blow-out traveling on the interstate. I would ask a person at the tire store...but they are all High School kids. How can I tell if these tires are unsafe???

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
They're modern construction radials so I don' think a "blow out" is all that likely. I'd look a the condition of the rubber, as long as it's not cracking badly (some small ones are fine in my book) and don't look completely dry, I'd go for it if there's a lot of tread.

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Well, I bought my GWaggy about 5 or 6 years ago with a set of BFG ATs on it that were half gone. They are pretty well worn out now, but I am not worrying about integrity. Maybe I should? They look fine. No cracking or anything like that.

BTW, stock on a GW was P225/75 R15 or P235...that's what I have on mine. P215 is a little skimpy. Not sure what the load rating is, but you will be a tad undersized. I wonder if it will be a little squirrely on the slalom course.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
My BFG AT's are about 12 years old, they look fine.
My BFG MT/KO's were bought in 2002. Have about 3K on them and they look fine.
Dad's BFG MT's were bought in about 1986. They've got some pretty bad cracks and have about 3500 miles on them. I keep it under 55 when I drive it and have been looking for some new rubber for the '8. Dang BFG KM2's are about $800 now......

I think as long as you check them over visually and they aren't cracked/ split they're fine..... I don't think twice about my 2 Jeeps on the highway running 10+ year old tires, cause they look fine.

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
BTW, stock on a GW was P225/75 R15 or P235...that's what I have on mine. P215 is a little skimpy. Not sure what the load rating is, but you will be a tad undersized. I wonder if it will be a little squirrely on the slalom course.
I agree...P215 is skimpy. But, it will look less skimpy on the GW with some sagging springs as opposed to on my Unlimited. I have no idea what the previous owner of the Unlimited was thinking...

ibscrmbln

Ken Waters
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Topeka
State
KS
Four or so years ago the Nascar Nationwide (Busch) series ran a road race in Canada in the rain. Goodyear pulled rain tires out of a warehouse for all cars that were 13 years old. Not a single tire failure on any racecar for the entire race.

However, I don’t believe any tire dealer would agree that a tire more than 5–6 years old should be trusted.

Later, Ken

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Thanks...does make me feel better. Occasionally they run News specials discussing the dangers of tires over 6-years old. Then I start to think about all those re-treads out there that HAVE to be older than that.

I understand the rubber gets harder. Not so concerned about that. I just don't want a blow-out while I am cruising down the interstate at 75mph...

RubberDuck

Legacy Registered User
City
Baltimore
State
MD
As long as there's no cracking and the tires haven't gotten "chalky", you're fine. You can even get away with some small cracks, especially if you throw a tube into them, but usually by the time they're cracking enough tread is gone that it's time to find some new ones anyways. If they've been kept inside and out of the UV sunlight, all the better. I have a set of tires on my 66 mustang that are probably 14 or 15 years old but only have about 3000 miles on them. They look and ride like new. But they're kept inside...