• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Tire carrier/gas can holder design

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
I'm going to build a spare tire carrier/gas can/cargo rack like you see around. Does anybody have pics or input on their favorite design? Looks like some folks put the cans between the tire and the tailgate, some on each side or in the back. Seems like the best thing would be most of the weight low and centered over the pivot point or as close to the jeep as possible to keep it all on there.
Ideas?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I personally cringe every time I see one with them between the Jeep and the tire. Way too much weight too far away from the Jeep and the axis of the hinge IMHO. If I was going to do one it would have them where the long axis of the bottom was parallel to the center axis of the Jeep on either/both sides of the tire.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Lot's of design ideas here: ]
Thanks! Yep, lots of ideas online - I even saw one with 8 gas cans hung on it. Looking more for ones that somebody here likes and has had last a trip or two. Some of those online look "hopeful"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
I personally cringe every time I see one with them between the Jeep and the tire. Way too much weight too far away from the Jeep and the axis of the hinge IMHO. If I was going to do one it would have them where the long axis of the bottom was parallel to the center axis of the Jeep on either/both sides of the tire.
I hear that - lots of weight time everything is full. I was thinking everything as close to over the bumper as possible without being too tall. I used to not carry a spare, just a plug kit and air; as I read somewhere last night - "that solves several problems and creates only one" :) that did work for me then but a carrier seems like it really ought to have a tire on it, with all that other stuff. I want to carry more than two cans (gas AND water) besides.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I had one on my TJ that had two regular jerry cans on it behind the tire. I agree that it sticks way too far out and a Scrambler already has a big rear overhang. I would look at rotopax gas and water cans. Save a lot of space and keep things closer to the tub.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I agree with bigwalton & SHLTR2. The weight of the wheel and gas cans and the carrier hanging on the back is putting a lot of weight too far back. Instead of fabricating the special rack to hold the cans, why not fabricate special cans. Seems like over the fenderwells could be a good place for fuel storage if you don't have back passengers. Or behind the roll bar in those back corners of the tub could hold some special cans. First thing would be to get the 20 gal tank if you don't have one, or have a special one made that is even larger. You guys that have expierenced a lot of off roading may have some input on how practical those locations would be.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
I have a full top on the one I plan to take to Moab, and don't care to have the gas cans inside the black top in the sun with all the other gear. I have carried a 30 gal drum before on a trip to Alaska and back - can't see it too well in this pic but it's in the front of the bed, forward of the undersize spare I had for part of the trip. I have a big tank in already - hangs up on things as it is, especially snow. I was thinking of a swinging cross piece with a vertical strut for the tire, and an h-frame to steady it, with spaces for cans inside that frame, sandwiched between the tire and the tailgate, so when I lock the gate shut the cans can't be stolen or fall out. Keeps the main weight centered over the bumper and pivot.(waiting for pic to load)

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
How about carrying the gas cans behind the tailgate. Could have a nice locking cover (hinged at the bottom maybe). Could be make from the everpopular diamond plate aluminium or just sheetmetal and paint it a light color. Put the spare somewhere else. Maybe the roll bar mount for the spare. I did see that someone was making a U shaped tubeular rail to mount on the hood of Cjs, Yjs, Tjs and others. There were some strips on the hood for the tire to sit on and I quess you strapped the tire to the captains rail around it. I didn't think it would do the hood any favors. They only showed it without the tire in place. Seems like the larger the tire, the less visibility you would have. I think I'd rather have it on the roll bar.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
It might come to moving the tire. Behind the tailgate close seems right for cans... The hood is definitely not the place for a tire, or a jack. I think I can move the tire back a few inches and have room for all those heavy cans. Somebody must have a pic of a carrier they like though...

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Do you need the extra space? I would closely consider if you need to do that. General rule is to try to keep weight distributed evenly between front and back axles. Adding all that weight so far behind the rear axle will add a lot more weight to the back axle and take a bit off the front as compared to keeping them as close to the bulkhead as possible. My general packing scheme is heavy stuff in front of the rear axle and lighter stuff behind it. Now if space is an issue then there is no choice but I would consider if those could be kept closer up and maybe just a rack for storage totes or duffels back there. Just my thoughts. I have pulled too many people out of sand which had all these cool mods which placed all the weight behind the back axle. Their back axle gets completely buried and the front axle is still on top...

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
This one's on an LJ but the concept can be applied to a Scrambler as well so I'll offer it up for consideration... it's a non-traditional way to carry a jerry-can that's worked out very well for me.

EngineerPass_zpsd39d8b00-1.jpg

The jerry can mount slips into a receiver that's bolted to the Jeep's frame. I've got one on each side of the Jeep. The can and it's mount do not touch the tub, they're completely supported by the frame-mounted receiver. No drilling was required on the Jeep. Being a simple receiver mount, the jerry can and it's holder are reallyu quick to install/remove, so you can only carry the cans when they might be needed if you didn't want to carry them all the time. I've put "anti-rattle" bolts in the mount so when you put the mount in the receiver you can insert the bolts so the mount doesn't move or rattle inside the receiver.

JerryCanFinal_zps521eae3e-1.jpg

The mount undergoing the 225-lb. gorilla test:

JerryCanSideRackGorillaTest_zps1da809a8-1.jpg

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
At some point, I'm planning on Rotopacks or similar mounted somewhere in the bed

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
This one's on an LJ but the concept can be applied to a Scrambler as well so I'll offer it up for consideration... it's a non-traditional way to carry a jerry-can that's worked out very well for me.

The jerry can mount slips into a receiver that's bolted to the Jeep's frame. I've got one on each side of the Jeep. The can and it's mount do not touch the tub, they're completely supported by the frame-mounted receiver. No drilling was required on the Jeep. Being a simple receiver mount, the jerry can and it's holder are reallyu quick to install/remove, so you can only carry the cans when they might be needed if you didn't want to carry them all the time. I've put "anti-rattle" bolts in the mount so when you put the mount in the receiver you can insert the bolts so the mount doesn't move or rattle inside the receiver.

That is a traditional place, way back. Do your doors not hit them? And I like that hardtop! Good place for a rack.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Do you need the extra space? I would closely consider if you need to do that. General rule is to try to keep weight distributed evenly between front and back axles. Adding all that weight so far behind the rear axle will add a lot more weight to the back axle and take a bit off the front as compared to keeping them as close to the bulkhead as possible. My general packing scheme is heavy stuff in front of the rear axle and lighter stuff behind it. Now if space is an issue then there is no choice but I would consider if those could be kept closer up and maybe just a rack for storage totes or duffels back there. Just my thoughts. I have pulled too many people out of sand which had all these cool mods which placed all the weight behind the back axle. Their back axle gets completely buried and the front axle is still on top...

There is the weight thing, to be sure. The Warn 8274 on the front only balances out 150 pounds of whatever is on the rear. Of course, I wouldnt be carrying much besides the tire going going down the road; it screws up the steering balance too, all that weight aft. Hence the 30 gallon drum in the bed that time. Sometimes I have gone 300 miles off road with no chance for a refill and been low on gas when coming out of the canyons, hunting the only gas station for 50 miles... Don't want that sleep-robbing worry while back of beyond. I see those big racks up here all the time but haven't ever used one. Seem top-heavy and prone to breakage to me - big loaded cooler on the very top, and hi-lift, and gas cans, etc etc.

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
It is tough to keep the weight all a good balance between the front and back. I am still working on ideas and plans to balance weight out better on mine. I had a 40gal fuel tank made for mine to fit in the stock location. The weight is behind the axel but at least it is low and not hanging out behind the tailgate. Kind of a compromise. I think if you were doing rough off road trails though you would only want to make it 30gal... (hangs a bit low) https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?41260-1981-Expedition-Build

I am thinking now about using that jerry can idea for just in front of the doors for my water storage. Don't think it will be too much of a hang up as I am mostly deserts and the Jeep is pretty narrow already.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
IMG-20130317-00537.jpgNice jeep, Aluke - looked at your thread. Hard to carry enough fuel, but 40 gal ought to do it on this continent. Storage pouches are a great idea, though the one I'm working on has no bulkhead (full top). I really liked that old-style fenderwell carry of Jeff's , but the roads are too narrow here for that. Still, for the desert...

Last edited:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
That is a traditional place, way back. Do your doors not hit them? And I like that hardtop! Good place for a rack.

Way back to WWII, but I haven't seen too many mounted here in recent years...

LongRangeDesertGroup_zps25bf21ec-1.jpg

The doors clear the cans just fine; the door straps stop the doors with plenty of room to spare.

BothJerryCansInstalled2_zpse891ddae-1.jpg

Yes, this hardtop has been a great place for a rack or a roof-top tent, I've used both up there. I typically carry the rack basket when I go off-road, I keep an extra spare and the High-Lift up there, and often luggage so it doesn't clutter the cabin.