• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tire pressure - running on a beach

hdttm

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
I'm jealous of all of the Sand Blast pictures, and really hope to participate sometime soon.

I'm asking this question for my best friend. He had a CJ-7 "way back when" . They were out on Cape Cod with the kids, got a permit and were able to go on the beach with his truck.

The question... and there may be more, what is the best way to deflate/re-inflate the tires - check and monitor pressure, equipment?

I'll send him a link to this thread so he can see responses/recommendations - I told him that if there ever was a group of people that would have great answers.... this would be the place to ask.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
For a truck/suv I run about 20 lbs on the beach (Outter Banks of NC). For my Scrambler, I don’t need to let any out, I’m usually at about 28 lbs. They can heat upon the sun and hot sand, so a re-check isn’t a bad idea. I use some of the typical deflater gauges available. Off road/ Trail riding, I typically start at about 15 lbs with my Scrambler.

timothy

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Predominantly I only run on sand @ the Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Sandblast, where I run 8lbs. I’ve run with more air when I first started going there & didn’t make it up the hills. There are some trails in Moab, UT that have sand on them & I run 12lbs out there

hdttm

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
Thanks for the replies. His truck is a 2010 Chevy 2500HD

The park service recommends 11 PSI for running on the sand - he seems to think that a little too low and obviously wants to avoid sidewall damage or peeling the tire off the rim - recommended on road pressure is 60 front and 72 rear. - he is comfortable in the 16-18# range, which seems to make sense.

He hasn't signed up here.... YET, but his other questions are:

*Tire Pressure Gauge - I've been using an "Accu-Gage" with a 5 to 100 PSI range. I found this particular gauge to give inaccurate readings in the "teens" and I've lost confidence in this gauge. Now, I have read that gauges are "most accurate" at the middle of the range they set up to measure. Do I need two gauges - one for on road PSI (about 60 to 72 range) and one for over sand PSI (about 18)? Anyone have a preferred brand and or model recommendation? Analog or digital? Any gauges to stay away from?

* Air Down Valves/Device - Looking for a relatively painless way to "air down" when I arrive at the beach. Any preferred brand or model recommendation, any products to stay away from?

I appreciate the input.... CLEARLY the correct answer is to ditch the truck for family outings at the beach and get a CJ.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I like this style deflator (mine is ARB, but the same design is available from many manufacturers).

And for re-inflation I carry a CO2 tank.
Final Setup.jpg

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
I use the same air down gauge/ deflator as above, but Mine says Currie on it.