Tire size on narrow trac base wheels

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
My 81 has narrow Trac axles and the base model wheels. Anyone know what the maximum tire width I can go before hitting the springs? Also anyone know the wheel width on those? Here's a pic so you know which wheels I mean.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The wheel width on those was 5.5" for the base model wheels. The base size was a oh so tiny 205 series .. they look good with up to 235 in my opinion. Here is a stock jeep with 235s on those wheels.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Here is an all stock 86 with the 205s. This was a base base jeep with 4cyl as well. Pic is from 1998

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
It's got 235s on it in the pic. Was hoping they were about 7" wide. Kinda limits me on size. I wanted to keep them. Looks like I have even more reason to get a set of old slot mags.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Checked my spare and I think it's the original Goodyear in 215/75r15. I was doing some research and found that was an optional tire size. I kinda like the little tire look reminds me of my Tonka jeep collection. It's kinda funny how the market changes. 205s stock on a cj7, 235s on a waggy. I don't think you can buy a 4x4 with less than 31s today. And those are determined insufficient and quickly swapped for 33-35" meats.