• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Tires

schmied

Basic User
City
menifee
State
ca
Gents,
I'm in the market for a set of new sneakers for my baby. She's standard and has no lift nor suspension mods. What is the best looking tire for these specs? BFG's, Goodyear wranglers?
Can I get some ideas please.
Thanks in advance!

scrambler228

Legacy Registered User
City
council bluffs
State
ia
Hi i love my briggstones,, they dont make noise and have great grip in the mud and snow and i like the tread looks on them,,, take a look 100_5810.JPG100_5811.JPG100_5812.JPG100_5808.JPG

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I'm a BFG fan. My 8 came with BFG all terrains and make the ninth set I've owned on everything from a wrangler to a full size 1979 Ford four wheel drive. For Ohio snow nothing short of chains or studs matches them. They're not good in the slimy sloppy mud, but on road they're quiet, have great traction and wear like iron if you run the correct pressure. I'm looking for a set of BFG mud terrains to throw on a different set of rims for the off road days. They always worked well too.

toddmonty

Basic User
City
Mattoon
State
IL
I agree with flashover, BFG's were on my 97 Defender, 2004 Jeep LJ, Hummer H2, & a 68 Bronco. I had great wear, traction, sound, & all around performance with them!!

I did have a set of General grabbers AT once that I remember were excellent too, & cheaper!!

As soon as I get everything set with my new purchase & go through things to see what needs done, I'm buying a set of tires!! Prob BFG's!!! Mine is all stock too!!

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Let me put it this way, my wife know this about tires...
1. They're round.
2. They're black.
3. They're expensive.

That's the extent of her tire knowledge.

We have a steep concrete driveway. Like 15-20 degree steep. That turns into a ski slope in the winter. We had the first snow after we bought the house and our Grand Cherokee was at the bottom sliding sideways but it wouldn't climb a bit. Off to Tire Discounters we go...

An hour later with a set of BFG All Terrains it walked right up. The goodyears we replaced had less than 10,000 miles on them, so they weren't worn out.

She calls them her "wonder tires". Good enough for me.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
For a completely stock rig no lift u can't go wrong with the original look of the 235 75 15 good year wrangler radial in my opinion. You can find em at most walmarts and go on sale for about 70 a tire often so the price is great too:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377402616.519145.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377402664.515405.jpg

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
For a completely stock rig no lift u can't go wrong with the original look of the 235 75 15 good year wrangler radial in my opinion. You can find em at most walmarts and go on sale for about 70 a tire often so the price is great too:

View attachment 36238

View attachment 36239

I agree with Jersey for the stock look. My favorite larger tire has always been BFG M/T's but A/T's are nice and better for mostly on-road driven rigs.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I agree with Polarfire as well. On anything more than stock i have run 31x10.5 BFG ATs. Both of these jeeps have about a 3 " lift but u can also get away with 31s without a lift they just look a little stuffy IMHO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377603278.148155.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377603347.425791.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I agree with Polarfire as well. On anything more than stock i have run 31x10.5 BFG ATs. Both of these jeeps have about a 3 " lift but u can also get away with 31s without a lift they just look a little stuffy IMHO.

View attachment 36290

View attachment 36291

What about a 2.5" lift with 30x9.50's:shrug::thumbsup:

I might throw that lift on my green Scrambler before Tommy gets his grubby little hands on it:rotfl::rotfl:

Your Jeeps look great:cheers::wave:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
If you are looking at something less expensive and just for winter. Try those Treadwright (sp?) retreads. They have a process where they imbed a sharp material, either Glass or something like a walnut shell into the tread, and they make a pattern very similar to the BFG AT. Also they will make them on matching carcasses if you want.

So you can get a decent winter tire, in almost any regular size, and fairly inexpensive. Also since it is a re-tread it is somewhat green.

They also make a couple of other patterns and can do the AT without the grit. So it can be a useful alternative.

When i was doing a lot of stuff out in Colorado and used the CJ as a daily driver. I just stuck to a 32x11.50x15 in a BFG MT style tire. I was in college so I tended to buy off brands but in that style.

Watch out for the modern day tires like the Michelen AT2's They are pretty good tires and wear really well. I have them on my Chevy 2500. The issue with them is that if you live on a gravel driveway like mine they are always picking up and then shooting off 1/2-3/4" gravel in between the tread blocks. Makes a big racket and dings up the lower body sheet metal. They are worn past halfway now and do not do it as bad. But when they were new I almost gave them away they were so bad at that. Looks like the Hancooks have the same size spacing.

If you live on a gravel drive really think about a narrower or larger tread spacing.

Carl