• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

TJ rollbar in Scrambler?

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
I know Randyzzz has mounted a TJ rollbar in his Scrambler. Has anyone else adapted a family-style (OEM) Jeep cage to the Scrambler? Any pics of the fabrication work required to mount the rear of the rollbar?

I have a chance to buy a TJ cage with seatbelts all-around for $125. I would like the shoulder harnesses and additional protection in the rear (two small kids riding back there).

It would be installed in a fiberglass 4WDH tub, BTW.

Thanks,
Craig

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Can't offer much help, other than to say I have seen pics of Randy's setup and it looks good. I don't think it allows use of the half top though, so if this is an issue you might have to modify it or do something else. :confused:

If you plan to use those seatbelts, make sure you get the "female" part too. They won't work with the CJ ones.

$125 w/ seatbelts is a good deal though. If you get it and don't use the seatbelts, I might be interested in them ;)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Craig- I had to lengthen the rear of the bars 3" and build pedestals for tham to sit on. Came in over the wheelwell, not too pleased with that, need to do a frame tie in soon. Although I will probably just build a whole new cage. Too bad yopu're not closer, I'd make you a heck of a deal on this one!

click here...https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5665

attachment.php

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Yeah, that's the pic I saw.

BTW, Randy, you have a PM from me from a few weeks ago about your seats. ;)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Was that on the PT seats? I sent a reply...hmm...

They are an inch or so taller than OE seats, so I cut down the towers on the drivers side(I'm 6'2" and 275 lbs). The width between brackets is about the same, but the PT tracks are 1" outboard so I had to weld plates on to move the mounting holes over. Also the tracks are longer, so I had to extend the mounts. Wasn't that bad, and they are more comfortable than Bestop Trailmax Pro's. Plus tha pass side folds flat, a bonus! And the recliners are levers, I hated turning those knobs on the Bestops.

I just installed a set of black cloth ones in the Scrambler, because I'm moving the leather ones over to the Jeepster!

I do think the PT seats are one of the most comfortable seats out there, though!

Let me know if you have any more Q?'s.

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Thanks, Randyzzz, I think you pretty much covered all my questions. :)

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Thanks guys. Even considering the good deal on the rollbar (which included seatbelts), I decided it was more work to adapt to a Scrambler than I'm willing to bite off right now. I may look at a custom cage down the road...who knows. Mike Boyink (from the early CJ-5 board and recently just signed up here) just posted these pics of his custom CJ-6 cage that's being done at a shop about an hour from me. I must say that I'm envious of the shoulder belts, front & rear. :)

Craig

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
I'm not a big fan of the factory TJ roll bar- it is made up of 3 pieces that are held together with 2 bolts on the '02 and earlier models- the later ones add a couple of tack welds. The factory bar is known to deflect a bunch on even mild flops- mine deflected so bad I couldn't put a hardtop on it. I you felt you really needed a factory family style bar, use a late YJ style bar- it is much better. I have a cage built off one of these on the '73 CJ6. (It came with the rig)

IMHO, you would be better served by a custom cage, it would be stronger, and you could tailor it to what you want. I can give you a few ideas the next time I talk to you, as I have done a few Scrambler cages. JCR (Brimy) does some nice work BTW, and I don't know if I could match his price on some of his cages.

Boyink

Tilting at Windmills
City
holland
State
mi
Thanks guys...

FWIW I added some more detailed pics showing how the TJ belts were installed.

Craig - I paid around $125 for just the belts..might have been worth the deal for you after all.

jpdeuce

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
So...is that the "right" way a cage is built...by having all of that structure on the floor of the Jeep?

What are the advantage of having the seats tied into the rollbar? Are there better ways to do it? What's the difference in that and just having the seat frames bolted to the bottom of the tub?

Boyink

Tilting at Windmills
City
holland
State
mi
I wanted seats and seat belts to all be integrated into the rollcage, so in the unlikely event of the cage seperating from the body passengers would stay within the rollcage structure.

Note that I didn't do any frame tie-ins. I know this is a matter of debate (usually anyway), but the frames on these old Jeeps are designed to flex. I don't plan on boxing the frame, so was afraid of frame cracks if the cage tied in. Integrating the seat and seat belt mounts seemed the next best alternative.

Last edited: