to lock or not to lock...... that´s the question

cj8py

Basic User
City
Ciudad del Este
State
AP
I would like to know from my fellow jeepers if there´s are pro´s and con´s in using diff lockers in a daily use jeep?, what experience do you have??, does it worth the risk?, wich lockers do you like??, ARB?, Lock right? etc.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
if you drive on the street most of the time, get selectable lockers. Spend the extra money, they are worth EVERY penny!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I've got ARBs, front and rear. You won't know you have them until you need them......unless you check your wallet (but that goes away after a while).

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
If you don't do THAT much hard core offroading, get a locker in the front, and a good LSD like a truetrac in the rear. Will give you better traction offroad, and will be invisible on the street. If you have $$$$ to spend, get selectable lockers front and rear (best option, but $$$$)

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
If you don't do THAT much hard core offroading, get a locker in the front, and a good LSD like a truetrac in the rear. Will give you better traction offroad, and will be invisible on the street. If you have $$$$ to spend, get selectable lockers front and rear (best option, but $$$$)
This right here. I just put a Trutrac in my rear and will do a locker when I feel the need for the front end.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Ox Locker's front and rear of my red Scrambler, absolutely love them:thumbsup:

Factory Selectable Lockers in my 05 Rubicon, love them, too:thumbsup:

On my "street/moderate off road" green Scrambler, factory Trac-Lock LSD in the rear, open in the front, works fine:thumbsup:

I daily drove a a Detroit in the rear '78 CJ-7 for over 10 years. Once I bought my Rubicon, I was amazed to rediscover how much better Jeeps drive without auto lockers:eek:

That being said, if you are going to wheel it, and don't want to spend the coin on selectable lockers, auto lockers are better then getting stuck all the time, and they are usually fool proof:twocents:

The '84 Scrambler i am currently working on has a Detroit rear, I put a Tru-Trac in the front. It has an auto tranny, a first for me, so I will have to report back on this one:wave:

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
My current and last CJs have/had Detroits. Other than snow (not so much here in Atlanta), the lockers seem to be invisible. But - huge but - it's not a DD. I don't drive in the rain. Lockers can suck in the rain.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Have a true-trac in mine, great in snow, can't tell it's there on the street!

Scramblur

Legacy Registered User
City
Pittsburgh
State
pa
I have daily driven with a lockrite for several years. Not very noticeable most of the time. Some times you get a bang when you do a right into a parking lot and then a left into a space(for example) Also some odd tire wear. I will be installing a locker in the rear of my LJ. I already have it so I will use it. Probably Trutracin front.