• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

To Paint or Not To Paint...

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Hi Folks,
Hey, quick question -- My Scrambler SL has original paint / stickers. The paint is decent but not great -- thin in spots, "sap" spots, misc scratches and dings here and there... The stickers are faded and scratched and worn in spots -- Anyway, you get the point. So, here's the question...

How much more would my Scrambler be worth with a new paint job (original color) and new stickers? Or, would it be worth less?

Here's a picture. As you can see, it looks good from a couple paces away.

81_cj8

IMO it shouldn't matter how much value it will give it. It looks great from where you took the pic, the decals look like they're all intact (atleast on the passenger side haha). That crazy cage might bring the value down, though. The thing is beautiful otherwise and the seats look awesome!

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I agree with "81", in that I wouldn't be concerned about a "repaint" affecting the value of your Scrambler when you've got that goofy cage installed. :) I also agree that that is a great looking rig with nice seats. That color combination is one of the best two options that was made available from '81-'86, with Cameo Tan/Nutmeg being the other. Unfortunately, I think that the Chestnut Brown color tended to thin out, depending on how often it was waxed; this may be due to it being a metallic paint finish.

Nice looking wheels too! I'd leave it alone (except for pulling that cage out).

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Origional paint

I'm an origional paint buff...as the collectors say... car is only origional once.

Prefer them with a few character marks to one so shiney that it looks fake.

It's yours so totally your decision.

Oh...if U repaint it, just means the nice original paint Scrambler are even more rare...LOL

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Ouch!

Wow, didn't expect the comments on the cage. No biggie though. I like it and it keeps the kiddos safe-er.

fisherman

Whew, was that you?
City
brunswick
State
md
i wouldn't touch it...the first 8 i ever saw was that same color.....gota love it!

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I like original paint Jeeps- like Dennis said- only original paint once.
-
Kyle

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I agree, it's only original paint once. I wouldn't touch a thing.

And I really like the cage.

Pepper

Basic User
City
Waterloo
State
IL
Looks great from a bit of a distance.

I like the stock paint BUT do what makes you happy. If you do paint it, document with LOTS of pics to show the good condition prior and after sanding you can see the condition of the body, etc.

Eventually those thin spots may become surface rust starters.

Cage looks great, gotta take care of the kids. Mine has the full cage, also.

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
I like the stock paint BUT do what makes you happy. If you do paint it, document with LOTS of pics to show the good condition prior and after sanding you can see the condition of the body, etc.

x2

I normally avoid vehicles that have been repainted unless you have some pics. You just never know what is under there.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
In response to some of the replies to your post, it doesn't really matter if others like your cage. If it works for you, then leave it alone -just like the paint.

However, if you're worried about resale value, both a repaint and the cage are detriments to the value of your Jeep. Consider that 99.9% of buyers would not buy your Jeep due to the cage, but those 99.9% might buy it if it didn't have the cage -I don't think anybody would look at it and think "Oh, I gotta have that cage". It might be the same scenario with the new paint.

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I have to agree that the paint looks great from that distance. I recently had mine repainted and had it stripped down to the metal. I took lots of pictures to show that there was nothing to hide. I don't know what the paint looked like before because the PO primed over it but I inspected the body very carefully and knew it was straight and rust free. You have to do what make you feel good about it. Kinda like the cage. Everyone has their own opinion and you will never please all of them. BTW, I like the cage.

charliev

Basic User
City
Cape Cod
State
ma
Unless you wanted to do a body off refurbishment, I'd leave it alone. That's a beautiful jeep, I love that color scheme. I'm drooling over it either way!

tinymay

Scrambler Junkie
City
Dickson
State
TN
Looks great on the outside!!

If it were mine, I'd focus on keeping the frame, springs and rubber healthy. New grommets, bushings and a little rust converting primer and paint add a LOT to the value of a Jeep when folks crawl under for a look see.

Only time you really need to repaint is if your toy starts looking like mine did...
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/hobunchastuf/AfterBurnt.jpg :eek:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I like original paint the best as well. It also makes the Jeep more valuable. The only problem with original paint is that in the 20 plus years it has been on there it has thinned out some. This makes the body more vulnerable to rust, espescially in all those little crevices and hard to see areas. New paint will definitely help protect the sheetmetal more then old paint. I guess it depends on the climate you live in. If I lived in the arid southwest I would stick with the original paint. I live in the deep south, lots of rain, high humidity, next to the Gulf of Mexico, all those factors help to contribute to the breakdown of sheetmetal. Thats why I bought the Scrambler that I have, only two previous owners, all original power train, but the 2nd owner did completely repaint it back to the factory color. He showed me lots of pics of what it looked like before he painted it, and what it looked stripped down. No rust or bondo (little bondo on the front of passenger fender to fill in small dent). Thats what I was looking for, very good sheetmetal and paint (I hate bodywork) and a factory powertrain that was not all jerry rigged up that I could fix as it broke down. Whatever makes you happy, or the potential buyer. Just my $.02:cheers:

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Looks great as-is Matt! :thumbsup:

As others have said, they're only original once!

Your Scrambler sure would look good in 1/24 scale :D

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Definately lose the cage!!! I will help out and give you my stock bar for the cage...:D

Seriously, what cage is that? I like it a lot!