• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Took a field trip with the local college around our area.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Not quite as impressive as Arches National Park but I think they are still cool. These are all in San Juan County NM with about 50 mile radius of Farmington NM, They say there are over 500 arches in the county.

P1100465.jpgresized.jpgP1100470.jpgresized.jpgP1100473.jpgresized.jpgP1100474.jpgresized.jpgP1100476.jpgresized.jpgP1100477.jpgresized.jpgP1100478.jpgresized.jpgP1100481.jpgresized.jpgP1100484.jpgresized.jpgP1100488.jpgresized.jpgP1100492.jpgresized.jpgP1100498.jpgresized.jpgP1100501.jpgresized.jpgP1100503.jpgresized.jpgP1100504.jpgresized.jpg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Nice. Didn't know those were out there. Are they some type of sandstone. ?

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I wish we had more time, I really wanted to stop in the Farmington area and try to get some wheeling in. I could tell the rest of my family was ready to get home at that point, so home we went. Looks like a beautiful area.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
All most all of the arches are in sandstone. This whole area is sandstone. If you look at the geological cross section of this area there are several different layers of sand stone a lot like the Moab area, or most of the the Four Corners area.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
That's such a cool area- Caught my biggest trout ever on the San Juan!

Forgot to ask- what class was the field trip for? Safe to assume Geology?

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
The Class was Arches of San Juan County, the "class" itself was not a lot, did it on Zoom but the field trip was most of the class. I am over 65 so for me I took it as an Encore The Senior College, so it is cheaper and I didn't need credit for it. And most of the class was Seniors.

A friend of mine fly fishes the San Juan and some times I go to row the boat for him. I have seen some big ones come out of the there. If you are fisherman and have not heard about the Quality Water section of the San Juan River below Navajo Dam you might want to look it up.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
The Class was Arches of San Juan County, the "class" itself was not a lot, did it on Zoom but the field trip was most of the class. I am over 65 so for me I took it as an Encore The Senior College, so it is cheaper and I didn't need credit for it. And most of the class was Seniors.

A friend of mine fly fishes the San Juan and some times I go to row the boat for him. I have seen some big ones come out of the there. If you are fisherman and have not heard about the Quality Water section of the San Juan River below Navajo Dam you might want to look it up.

Sounds like a cool experience, Don! So glad those educational opportunities exist out there. Although we don't have any cool arches around here, we've done similar programs for the more mature crowd that live near campus- most often taking week-long trips to the Smoky Mountains and what not. Always a good time!

Would love to make a boat trip, jealous! I'm sure I fished below the dam, just not sure how far - As I recall, there was this fiesty blonde in Durango I was sweet on about 20 years ago, and made a day trip down to the San Juan while visiting her. She dumped me, but I still recall the fish - landed a 23 inch trout with a 22 midge on a 6x tippet. That was a happy day!

Last edited: