Tool boxes

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I'm in the market for a new tool box. I currently have my main box which is a wrinkle finish craftsman portable box, about 4 other no name smaller boxes and various tools sitting in random places everywhere. Actually the thing that made me decide I need a new tool chest is I asked my girlfriend to bring my main box, the craftsman, out of the garage when I was doing brakes on my ranger and she couldn't lift it. It's cumbersome but I'm a big guy and carry it around one handed. I put it on my bathroom scale and it reads 146lbs. I'm getting a roller so I can pull the whole thing out of the garage when I'm working in the driveway and I can put it on a trailer should I need to do some work at my dad's or brothers houses. I'm nowhere near the needs of a gigantic snap on cabinet. I'm thinking this 52" husky should meet my needs for several years and still be able to pull it in and out of the garage. What are you guys using for boxes? Trying to get some other ideas before I go out and buy one.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-i...-Top-22-in-Extra-Deep-HOTC5211B1QBD/204765860

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA

More room than I probably need.

I wish, I would put a down payment on a house instead.
I have a 48" ish craftsmen waiting for me when I get room for it. If you are gonna roll it often into the driveway, the larger the casters the better.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If you have a Costco or SAMs Club nearby, they sell some large rolling tool chests at decent prices. I have some older large Craftsman rolling chests, several.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I don't have either one nearby. But I do know I want 48-62", 10+ drawers and a flat top. Then if I need to use it as a bench I can.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I have seen the costco tool box and its definitely one to take a look at

Sent from my SM-N910P

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I do have an old wooden snap on box with some 1930 1/2"drive sockets, extensions, a ratchet, and the sliding breaker bar. More for show though.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Actually the Costco locator was wrong. I have 2 @about 95 miles each. Sam's club is the same thing I have tractor supply, home depot, and Lowe's within 40 miles.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
My mistake. My cabinets and work bench came from Sams but my Kobalt tool box came from Lowes. For the price the Kobalt tool boxes are really worth the money.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Do they have to pipe sunlight to you !!
Usually. We get more rain than sun. I may live in ny but not the city like everyone thinks when they hear ny. I'm at the bottom edge of the adirondack mountains. Kind of a dead zone for most things. Seems like a lot of stuff I'd special order around here.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I need to start looking at bigger garages too. The woman and I are starting to look at houses but I won't commit without the proper garage space.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have a huge Mac box. Won it in a raffle with a $20 ticket- no way would I ever invest what this thing books out at. I agree with Dennis, the Kobalt boxes are really nice for the price, as are the Costco low rollers. Look at Craigslist- there's always boxes on there, sometimes you can snag a great deal. I'm on the lookout for a specific Mac tool cart- it has a top that splits and doubles as a work surface. Missed one for $300 last year on Craigslist- I think retail is $1600. There's good deals out there if you're patient and willing to act fast once a deal pops up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457321172.699525.jpg

Last edited:

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I think I could get by with a 24x50 garage. And a separate garage for actually parking cars in.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I think I could get by with a 24x50 garage. And a separate garage for actually parking cars in.

Amen to that. Funny thing- I still don't have enough room in my Mac box for all my tools... and I cant remember the last time I actually used a garage for parking. Actually now that I think about it, we were able to park in the garage in the early 90's. Our house in Utah had a shop and a garage.