Rocket Scientist
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Greenbackville
State
VA
Hi All,

I'll be picking up an 84 with hard doors and half top on Saturday and am looking for opinions on a couple items.

Bestops Classic Bikini & Windjammer seem like a no-brainer combo...gotta have my quick access to sun :D

This Soft Top Reinforcing Kit sounds like a great alternative to sheet metal screws.

Likewise the Kwick Kit II™ Premium Jeep Hardware for CJ/YJ Wrangler from Lange Originals looks like a winner for hardtop quick release.

Any thoughts/experiences with either product?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

cheers,

kim

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome and congrats on the new rig! :thumbsup:

Are you planning on installing/removing each of your tops all that often?

I wouldn't worry with the soft top reinforcing kit until you see the shape of the windshield top edge. If they've had the halftop on and not done a soft top, it should be undrilled and I'd stick with the small sheet metal screws to hold the channel on. I started with a new frame and drilled new holes, and with some silicone sealant under the windshield header and just tightening the screws down firmly, but not overly tight, it's went on/came off fine with just the supplied sheet metal screws for a few years. Actually, I just put on a new Bestop full soft top and I reused the old windshield header I had on going all the way back to my first bikini (~6 years ago now) simply because it's still on there so well.

The screws are not that big, so I'm sure you'll just have to drill them out larger to get those rivnuts in from that reinforcement kit if you ever get to that point. I'm thinking why not save the cash and use the smaller holes until you have to bother with the kit?

The hard top latches I've seen before, I don't have a halftop, so no personal experience, but I've read enough people complaining about the stock metal strip/screw method and replacing it with latches like that to know that's a good idea.

The bikini top, if it has straps that go to the tub, may require a bit of creativity because the straps likely won't be long enough to reach the tub where they're supposd to mount. I put the footman loops for the straps on my wheelwells when I had the short bikini.

On the windjammer, check that it will work with the larger diameter of the Scrambler rollbar. No personal experience here either, but the rollbar is much larger on these and if it's close with a Wrangler/CJ, it may end up needing extensions on the straps.

kimsanva

Rocket Scientist
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Greenbackville
State
VA
Are you planning on installing/removing each of your tops all that often?
Prolly just the spring/fall transitions. I'd been thinking with the reduced size/weight of a half hardtop I might be more inclined to toss it on for multiple rainy days. This is gonna be a daily driver as well as beach bomber...direct replacement for a TJ and the YJ before it.

I wouldn't worry with the soft top reinforcing kit until you see the shape of the windshield top edge. [SNIP] I'm thinking why not save the cash and use the smaller holes until you have to bother with the kit?
Good thought. My YJ channels held up well over 7 years with the bi-yearly transitions. I'll go for the wait and see for now.

The hard top latches I've seen before, I don't have a halftop, so no personal experience, but I've read enough people complaining about the stock metal strip/screw method and replacing it with latches like that to know that's a good idea.
Looks like a solid kit to me, even if for just the bi-yearly switch. No need to have someone sit on the front edge to get a tight seal this way :D

The bikini top, if it has straps that go to the tub, may require a bit of creativity because the straps likely won't be long enough to reach the tub where they're supposd to mount. I put the footman loops for the straps on my wheelwells when I had the short bikini.
Per the item notes, footman loops would end up on the side rails rather than the back. Wheelwells sound very do-able as well. Good suggestion.

On the windjammer, check that it will work with the larger diameter of the Scrambler rollbar. No personal experience here either, but the rollbar is much larger on these and if it's close with a Wrangler/CJ, it may end up needing extensions on the straps.
Well it's listed as CJ-8 compatible :rolleyes: I think I can deal with extensions if it can't handle the tubes.

Thanks for the welcome and insights. I'll post some pics once it's in my hot little hands and I've got the doors and roof in their rightful place...storage :D

cheers,

kim

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Prolly just the spring/fall transitions. I'd been thinking with the reduced size/weight of a half hardtop I might be more inclined to toss it on for multiple rainy days. This is gonna be a daily driver as well as beach bomber...direct replacement for a TJ and the YJ before it.
Beach bomber... I grew up in Richmond and lived there for years, so I was stumped by Greenbackville. Now that I looked it up on Google maps, I know why!! Wow, can't really get any further up and out there! :smokin: Bet that's a great area!

You've got a ton of great Scrambler folks down there in VA and NOVA, probably a hike from you, but maybe you could host a beach day :cool:

Per the item notes, footman loops would end up on the side rails rather than the back. Wheelwells sound very do-able as well. Good suggestion.
Yeah, I thought about that, but I didn't like that it turned the strap sideways. Looked odd to me and sort of splayed the straps out wider than they seemed to be designed for, hence the wheelwell spot.

Thanks for the welcome and insights. I'll post some pics once it's in my hot little hands and I've got the doors and roof in their rightful place...storage :D
That's what I like to hear!!!! :cheers: