topper?

City
White Rock
State
NM
Has anyone seen a Scrambler with a topper on the back? I'm thinking of looking into having an aluminum shell made to enclose the bed for longer wheeling/camping trips. It would have been nice to have had last month when we did the Mojave road/preserve and Death Valley and even nicer last spring inDeath valley when the wind was gale force. I dont expect to be able to actually sleep in a 5' bed but in a pinch itd be better than the cab and in foul weather or a not so dry dry lake it would save a LOT of cleaning time after...

thanks for the thoughts gentlemen

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
There is at least one picture on this forum of one with a topper on it. Picture just resurfaced in 3rd party a week ago I think. It was originally from a year or 2 ago.
So did you decide not to sell it?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Yes Barry is right and it was a Laredo beige color and perhaps another one.

Comment tho is that if you chose the topper method you would also need the half cab and and would have no access to the back from the cab. A full hardtop would allow that , but of course it's not a one man job or a quick install when weather happens. A full soft top and doors would allow that. And another thought is that with no bulkhead installed you could sleep in there with your head between the seats with a custom cot arrangement.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hmm...one of those made out of smooth aluminum sheeting or even fiberglass might look OK. There's a lot of fiberglass camper shells for cheap out here...might have to experiment at some point.

I would really like to see a 2 piece aftermarket hardtop or molded back half that mates with existing half cab. Just add the back half when traveling with luggage or your dog, etc... I wonder if an LJ Unlimited top could be sectioned to make something like that.

Really not impressed with my new soft top. Impossible to use in the winter, hard to access tailgate area, noisy...

City
White Rock
State
NM
wow thanks guys! I have dim memory of someone on here trying to sell one a few years ago, I almost bought it but couldnt work out the logistics of getting it here. I think I'll take a drive to Albuquerque in the next couple of weeks and get a solid idea on whether theyd build it and if so how much.

City
White Rock
State
NM
i currently have a hard half top and previously had a full soft top. My son had a full hard top on his so I'm familiar and have thought about those options as well but dont think thats where I want to go. Ive also thought that since I have a rear cage that maybe I should try a soft topper set up first. A tarp and some grommets on the existing cage bars would be a fair proof of principle test.

City
White Rock
State
NM
Barry, I havent decided but there was no real interest in it, so the decision has been reduced to keep it or part it and Im to lazy to part it.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Or.. There is a Chevy Luv or some other small pickup of its day that u could use ? Maybe a tiny Toyota ? Etc.

City
White Rock
State
NM
The place I got the topper for my Dodge makes aluminum ones like these on site, when mine wasnt going to be delivered on time they just make up a loaner for me so Id have something on the bed for a trip to the Dakotas last Christmas. Could be that each one is a one off made by an outfit local to the buyer. I'll get a better idea when I have a free day to take the jeep to town and ask them