• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

torque arm and stud questions

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
I now have a torque arm and stud in my possession. As my jeep had none of this and I've never worked with stock running gear before, I have little more than an idea on how to make all this work. I have asked the googles with less than satisfying responses.

The new stud came with bushings and nothing more. What the heck is a push washer?

As far as getting it all mounted, I'm sure I can figure it out, but if you have some good photos, I'm all eyes.

I feel as if I get it even remotely close to how it was intended, it will be way better than the way it is currently, which is no torque bracket at all and a broken transmission mount rigged in sort of with one bolt.

Chris

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
20200322_204341_resized-jpg.81229

Maybe not the best example from my build thread as its all a bit of a mock up but i think this shows the order of things with the torque arm bushings..
On a standard transmission that hexagonal bit which looks like a nut but is part of the torque arm stud should be sat on the skid plate and bolted down tight. (i need to make a spacer for mine as the transmission is higher up).
The gearbox mount plate bit is actually free to move in between the bushes and its not a tight fit like bushes normally are. in fact its got quite a bit of movement if i remember correctly.

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
Thank you Dave. That's pretty much how I had it figured, BUT in a few different illustrations I have found there is something called a push washer between the stud and the skid plate. I could be way wrong, but that's how it looks and I don't have a clue what that is. My plan is to move forward just like you did and hope for the best.

Chris

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Maybe there is supposed to be a big washer to spread the weight a bit on the skidplate to stop it punching through but i dont recall that being the case if so.
There will be someone on here who will have an OEM bushing setup who will chime in i am sure.