Transfer case leak

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Just brought the 8 back from our cabin so it can spend the winter in a warm garage. Totally forgot to unlock the hubs prior to coming back. about 100 miles or so at 60mph. once I pulled in the garage and came back a couple days later, there is a pretty good leak under the jeep, and the transfer case is covered in fluid. Any ideas on what would be leaking? since its covered in fluid, its hard to say at this point where the leak is coming from. Any input on whether or not leaving the hubs in 4wd while the TC is in 2wd is harmful and to what? Input appreciated. thx.

J

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Probably a front output seal leak. Leaving it locked in shouldn't hurt anything in theory, as long as there wasn't wicked vibrations from the driveline. The geartrain in the t-case is spinning all the time anyway when the trans is in gear, regardless of whether the outputs are engaged or not. As long as it didn't completely empty itself and run dry, I'd think you should be okay. The front output seal probably got warm and let fluid seep by, then being slung everywhere via the spinning output yoke. Just my guesses...

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Fummins covered it well. I changed my front output seal with the transfer case in the Jeep. Not super fun, but not impossible. Check the yoke to see if there is a groove worn from the seal. You can get a speedy sleeve from the auto parts store to help prevent future leaks (if the yoke has a seal groove).

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Thanks sdsupilot. I think I will try refilling, see how bad it leaks and if its bad, try replacing the seal. Good to know it can be done without pulling the case.