• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Transmission fluid change

xatu40

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Port Orange
State
FL
I did mine awhile back and had the shifter cover off. Decided it was easier to run a hose down through the opening and fill it from the topside than from underneath.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
The drain plug for most manuals is either on the bottom or very low on one of the sides. It's usually a 3/8" or 1/2" square female pipe plug that requires only a ratchet of corresponding size to remove. Sometimes the plugs are square male, and require nothing more than an open end wrench or crescent wrench to remove. The fill plug is usually a few inches above the drain plug, as the fill plug generally dictates how much fluid the box requires. Over filling can cause excessive drag on the gears and possibly burp fluid out of the vents or push past the seals. Unless it's a Getrag 360 in a '89-'93 Dodge....they require a slight overfill to keep the input bearing happy.

gradywhaler

Basic User
City
Old Saybrook
State
CT
The drain plug for most manuals is either on the bottom or very low on one of the sides. It's usually a 3/8" or 1/2" square female pipe plug that requires only a ratchet of corresponding size to remove. Sometimes the plugs are square male, and require nothing more than an open end wrench or crescent wrench to remove. The fill plug is usually a few inches above the drain plug, as the fill plug generally dictates how much fluid the box requires. Over filling can cause excessive drag on the gears and possibly burp fluid out of the vents or push past the seals. Unless it's a Getrag 360 in a '89-'93 Dodge....they require a slight overfill to keep the input bearing happy.

Thank you very much.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
So what fluid is needed for a T5? Have seen anything from GL3/4 to Budlight noted as usable...

Gracias

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
NOT Budlight!

At least use a respectable fluid like Shiner, you choose Bock or Blonde.

The official fluid is no longer available. I last used ATF in mine. Suggest looking at Raymond’s thread where he tried multiple flavors and broke multiple T-5’s before coming to an AX-15.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
NOT Budlight!

The official fluid is no longer available. I last used ATF in mine. Suggest looking at Raymond’s thread where he tried multiple flavors and broke multiple T-5’s before coming to an AX-15.
I use/like Valvoline Synchromesh MTF in T5's/AX15's.

ATF feels a little thin, gear oil feels too thick:shrug:

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
NOT Budlight!

I do keep Shiner Bock on hand at the house and in the shop... I know Jason, (Chief Wahoo) likes it too!.

Will do the Valvoline Synchromesh in the T-5. 270K and still going strong... No point in changing now after using it 24 years.

Thanks, Spankjrs!