• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Transmission Identification

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
I was hoping someone could help me get a positive ID on a used transmission I am getting ready to buy.
The owner believes it might be a 904 but the 999 looks very similar. It came off a 85' CJ-7 that was behind a 4.2L 258.
I realized most transmissions behind this engine in the CJ's are 999's, I was just hoping to get a positive ID.

I'm not sure if anyone has any insight on the codes stamped on the tranny.

Thanks

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
I also plan on using this in a conversion. I will be taking out my T-5 to convert it to an automatic. Does anyone know it it will require me to get different drive shafts? It is going in my 84' Scrambler.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
I have done this swap a couple of times. Your rear drive shaft from your 8 will most likely need to be shortened. I have always just used the front shaft from the donor, but that most likely will be lengthened if it comes from your 8. It is highly unlikely it will be a perfect match. It is no problem for a driveshaft shop to cut and balance though.

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
I have done this swap a couple of times. Your rear drive shaft from your 8 will most likely need to be shortened. I have always just used the front shaft from the donor, but that most likely will be lengthened if it comes from your 8. It is highly unlikely it will be a perfect match. It is no problem for a driveshaft shop to cut and balance though.

Thanks, I'll see if I can measure the front driveshaft from the donor vehicle and compare it to mine.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Now that Jeepdoc/ Kragen's website is gone, it's a little tougher to pull up all the info for transmission specific driveshafts, but there was VERY LITTLE difference in a T5 driveshaft length and a TF999 driveshaft length.

I have a T5 in my tan CJ7 and a TF999 I plan to use at some point in the future. The driveshafts were close enough that I felt like I could get by with it.

This thread someone did so and said it worked.
https://www.cj-8.com/threads/rear-driveshaft-length-tf999-trans.9076/#post-56014

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
Now that Jeepdoc/ Kragen's website is gone, it's a little tougher to pull up all the info for transmission specific driveshafts, but there was VERY LITTLE difference in a T5 driveshaft length and a TF999 driveshaft length.

I have a T5 in my tan CJ7 and a TF999 I plan to use at some point in the future. The driveshafts were close enough that I felt like I could get by with it.

This thread someone did so and said it worked.
https://www.cj-8.com/threads/rear-driveshaft-length-tf999-trans.9076/#post-56014
Good point. I have an old Quadratec catalog that has the lengths listed which confirms this too. A lift might skew your length too.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The tell tale between the 999 and 904 I was told is what the splined shaft looks like...I havent looked up the difference which one sticks out a litter further from the "sheath" etc but I know its a noticable difference and you can tell a 999/904 by just that with TC removed (as you show) . Start googling about the end of that shaft and you may find your answer.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
That ID number on the side of it should reveal what it is and what manufacturers vehicle it was originally installed in to but you will have to wait at least 24 hours for the answer as i do not have my manual here with me.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Good point. I have an old Quadratec catalog that has the lengths listed which confirms this too. A lift might skew your length too.

I think the old 4 wheel Drive Hardware catalogs had lengths listed also.

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
The tell tale between the 999 and 904 I was told is what the splined shaft looks like...I havent looked up the difference which one sticks out a litter further from the "sheath" etc but I know its a noticable difference and you can tell a 999/904 by just that with TC removed (as you show) . Start googling about the end of that shaft and you may find your answer.

Thanks, I'll start googling about the end of the shaft and see what I find.

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
That ID number on the side of it should reveal what it is and what manufacturers vehicle it was originally installed in to but you will have to wait at least 24 hours for the answer as i do not have my manual here with me.

That would be great! I am curious what you are able to find. The owner said it came of an 85' CJ-7 with a 4.2L that was being used as a snowplow in Idaho Springs, CO.

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
I picked up the transmission today. He had some linkage and coolant lines but no driveshafts. I am still trying to gather all the parts I will need for the conversion. I think I may be missing some parts of the linkage. I believe there is a bracket for a balancing point that mounts over the brake proportioning valve I don't have. Here are pictures of the linkage I have. Can anyone tell me what else I need to find?
Thanks!

IMG_1288.JPGIMG_1289.JPG

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
RMNP CJ-8 did you post those beautiful pictures of your Scrambler on Facebook a few weeks back? I love the one where it's a full side shot against the mountains. It's my new desktop background.

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
RMNP CJ-8 did you post those beautiful pictures of your Scrambler on Facebook a few weeks back? I love the one where it's a full side shot against the mountains. It's my new desktop background.

Thanks Randyzzz! Yes, those are pictures I took of my Scrambler a few weeks back when it got a little warmer. I was itching to take her out after I finally got some original wheels and my tire rack put on. It was up in Rocky Mountain National Park. It's a nice little drive up to Estes from Loveland and through the park. Also a little shakedown for a new valve cover gasket and brake master cylinder.

Attachments

• _RDY8948.jpg
    _RDY8948.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 12

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
I'm guessing the 904 was only attached to the 4cylinder engine and that all 258's would have had the 999. I'm not sure the input shaft differences would help you, the non-lock up versions have splines all the way to the front, lock ups have a ~3/8" non splined section, can't tell from the pictures.

What else do you need?
Depends if you are going to use the linkages or convert to cable shift, you will need a floor mount shifter base.
Make sure you connect the kick down linkage, you may need a different carb throttle bracket to allow that.

B&M or Lokar offer shift cable kits that may help.

RMNP CJ-8

Gold Member
City
Estes Park
State
CO
I'm guessing the 904 was only attached to the 4cylinder engine and that all 258's would have had the 999. I'm not sure the input shaft differences would help you, the non-lock up versions have splines all the way to the front, lock ups have a ~3/8" non splined section, can't tell from the pictures.

What else do you need?
Depends if you are going to use the linkages or convert to cable shift, you will need a floor mount shifter base.
Make sure you connect the kick down linkage, you may need a different carb throttle bracket to allow that.

B&M or Lokar offer shift cable kits that may help.

Thanks. The splines go all the way out so I'm guessing it's a non-lock up. I have a automatic tilt steering column I will be using. I still have to get a new floor plate for the auto. I don't want a floor shifter.