• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Tremec TR-4050 5-speed Kit

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I'm in no way related to Tremec or Silver Sport Transmissions, but I stumbled across this on the social medias and felt it pertinent to share.

https://shiftsst.com/4wd/

TREMEC TR-4050 5-Speed Kits by Silver Sport Transmissions

APPLICATIONS: Cummins, Ford, GM, Jeep, and Mopar

Supported Engine Platforms: Cummins 4BT, Cummins 6BT, Cummins 5.0, and Cummins R2.8, Ford Windsor small block, Ford Coyote, Small Block Chevy, Big Block Chevy, LS Series, Small Block Mopar, Gen III Hemi
Replaces the AX15, NV3500, NV3550, and NV4500 5-Speeds and the NP435A, NP435L, NP435D, NP435E, T18, T19, T98, SM420, and SM465 4-Speeds.

RATIOS: 6.16, 3.11, 1.71, 1.00, .76 Rev. 6.03
  • 425 lb•ft Torque Capacity
  • Right Side PTO - 6 bolt
  • High-contact constant mesh helical gears for maximum strength
  • Die-cast aluminum alloy housing saves weight while offering considerable rigidity
  • Standard right-hand six-bolt PTO offers abillity to run hydraulic pumps
  • Multi-rail shift linkage provides excellent shift feel and performance
  • Tapered bearing on input, main and counter shafts provide excellent internal stability
  • Needle bearings under gears reduce friction and noise output
  • All forward gears and reverse gear synchronized
  • Advanced synchronizer technology promotes smoother shifting and reduced shift effort
  • Counter shaft mounted 5th gear synchronizer improves noise, vibration and harshness in overdrive
Silver Sport Transmissions' 4WD Project - 2002 Jeep Wrangler

To launch our new 4WD TREMEC TR-4050 PerfectFit™ Kit for TJ platform Jeeps, we purchased a 2002 Jeep Wrangler. This Wrangler came with the legendary 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine, a 5-Speed NV3550 manual transmission, a 3.07 rear axle ratio, and P215/75R15 RBL Wrangler AT tires. The previous owner did some common customizations to the Jeep, including adding 33x12.50 R15LT tires which took the Jeep from 28" to 33" tires.

Our PerfectFit Kit for the TJ platform comes with everything you need to convert to the TR-4050 5-Speed, from the pilot bearing to the driveshaft. You'll be very happy with this upgrade over your old NV3550, NV4500 or AX15.

You can tell from the initial driving video below, the new tire height greatly effected the gearing. We wanted to improve the driving experience for not only those who run these oversized tires, but also for people who would like a little more torque in their lowest gear and reverse when crawling or mudding.

No idea on cost, but at the rate NV4500's are going, and the limited bellhousing arrangement and overall size limitation, this may be a lucrative alternative.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Interesting they align it as a NV4500 replacement. I'd like to see if the 425 ft-lb torque rating is conservative like the 460 ft-lb rating of the NV4500.

If it can handle more than the listed 425, and it shifts similar to a T-5, they might have a winner on their hands.

From the internet wayback macine around 2002:

TTC TR-4050.JPG

I can't see where this transmission was used in the US, but it appears it was used in HD (Light) Trucks in South America.

It, like the NV4500, is a portly fellow.

NV4500 - 190 lbs
TR-4050 - 165-190 lbs ?
NV3500 - 110 lbs

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I just spoke with the secretary there who is incredibly friendly and very helpful. She has passed on my information to one of the sales people who will ring me back. Looking at their website, it looks like this could be a very good alternative.

A friend of mine has the tremec 6 speed in a 68 chevelle and he's very happy with it.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I just spoke with the secretary there who is incredibly friendly and very helpful. She has passed on my information to one of the sales people who will ring me back. Looking at their website, it looks like this could be a very good alternative.

A friend of mine has the tremec 6 speed in a 68 chevelle and he's very happy with it.

The other variable is shift quality. Nv-4500 shifts like a HD truck; which isn’t much fun. Ax-15 and Nv-3500 are much nicer....

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I'd love to try this one. Agreed about the NV4500- not fahrfergneugen. Dump truck-like. That's why I'm leaning AX15... until i read about this.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I'd love to try this one. Agreed about the NV4500- not fahrfergneugen. Dump truck-like. That's why I'm leaning AX15... until i read about this.
You can come to KC and drive mine

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I've driven the AX15, just not the TR4050.

Next time I'm in KC though I'd love to meet up. Maybe we can go to Arthur Bryant's and talk scramblers. I'd love to see yours in person

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Sounds good!

We can do way better than Bryant’s too!!

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Better than Bryant's?! I'm intrigued.... where? I haven't had a KC overnight recently but i may have to start trying for one....

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
There is an aftermarket shifter for the nv4500 that is supposed to make it “less” truck like.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I got an estimate for the application in to my scrambler. I have a ford 302 which I am going to keep for now, So the quote was to adapt to the ford 302.

$6131 fir everything, which includes a hydraulic clutch kit costing $700 and which appears to have an internal slave cylinder. I am looking into whether I can keep my external slave cylinder and continue to use the Wrangler hydraulic clutch system (which I have and have yet to install). The Dana 300 bolts directly to the rear of this transmission -which is a huge plus (so obviously add the cost of a rebuild kit).

Using their bell housing there is no adapter between the ford 302 and the tremec. It really is an extremely attractive option, albeit slightly expensive. I am not at all intrested in having an internal slave cylinder so that may actually keep me on the AX15 track (I've changed enough slave cylinders on the side of the road to know I don't want to use a transmission jack to do it) . The salesman is getting back to me about whether or not there is a way I can keep the external slave cylinder. Utilizing my own system would obviously make this about a $5500 installation - which is still fairly attractive given the Dana 300 bolts directly to it without the use of any adapters and the bell housing allows its direct attachment to the engine. I'd imagine there is a similar bell housing for the 258 and the SBC.

I'll post up as l learn more, but right now I'm extremely interested. Once my axles show up, this may well be the next pallet to rock up at my house.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
This doesn't really compare to an Ax15. The Ax15 is a 5 speed. This tranny is really a 4 speed with a granny gear that you would never use on the street. Which is fine if that's what you are after. I personally really like using all 5 gears in my Ax15 on the street. But I certainly can see this being attractive to others. They are just two different animals.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Better than Bryant's?! I'm intrigued.... where? I haven't had a KC overnight recently but i may have to start trying for one....

Everybody's different on BBQ; but I'd put all of these above bryants at this point...

BB's Lawnside
Joe's KC
Haywards
Q39
Jack Stack

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
This doesn't really compare to an Ax15. The Ax15 is a 5 speed. This tranny is really a 4 speed with a granny gear that you would never use on the street. Which is fine if that's what you are after. I personally really like using all 5 gears in my Ax15 on the street. But I certainly can see this being attractive to others. They are just two different animals.
I would agree if this were going to be a tranny swap.
However, by using the close ratio version (with the higher torque rating) in a new build, it allows you to select gears and tires that could utilize the lower first gear and essentially give you a better OD gear.
Of course, the decisions would need to be based on the intended use, as well as the characteristics of the engine :twocents:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
$6k seems a bit steep. I should have well under $1k in my NV4500 when done. Can’t see how the 4050 would be worth $5k more.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
True dat. On the other hand, that quote includes clutch assembly, bell housing, etc. The gear box itself is about $3100. That's nearly double the new AX15 from Novak.

I do like the fact that there's no adapters, but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward staying with the Novak AX15 setup.

I had an NV4500 in a Cruiser many moons ago. I did like it- and it's bomb proof, but it's not a joyful diving experience like the AX15 or most Toyota boxes are. That's why I'm leaning toward the AX15. I'd go with the Toyota H55F if I could put my Dana 300 behind it.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
My NV4500 came from a junkyard, had the bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, hydraulic throw out. All for $600 as I recall. Now that is used, but I just can’t see where $6k is justifiably in these toys. But, I am sure there are some that would be willing to pay that.

If I was looking for a heavy duty car like transmission I’d be looking at the nv3500 (or 3550) or the ax-15.

If the whole kit for the 4050 was closer to $3k, then it would be a closer take, but I’ll bet the 4050 shifts like a truck trans as it was used in the f-350 in South America. Can’t see any 1 ton transmissions shifting like a vette.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I agree, and I really wish mine had come with a Chevy motor instead of that blue unicorn 302 lump it's got because then I'd simply do an NV4500 for certain- being only an adapter for the Dana.

But since mine has that F*#d motor, i don't have as many options as you do. Since I've got to do the adapter anyway, a new AX15 it's not terribly much more than a rebuilt NV4500- it's the adapters which really knock the price up. if I had the time, I'd buy a Chevy truck with a 5.7 vortec and NV4500 and put that in like I did with my last land cruiser, but my wife would kill me taking that much time on a project like that. I try to plan all my projects for one day items I can do on my days off when the kids are in school.

That's why a complete gear box is attractive: one day to drop my old one and build my Dana on the back of the new one, then one day to whack the new box back in the truck. Same reason I bought new axles rather than rebuilding mine: one day to put them under the truck- done.

I'm kind of doing a full rebuild in daily increments. Then, once the mechanical bits are all sorted, I'll pull the tub and have a friend's body shop get it all schmick, rhino lined and purdy-then I'll put it all back together.... one day at a time. In all likelihood, I'll have to have them put it back together; happy wife, happy life donchaknow.

My goal is to wind up with my dream scrambler which my family and I can enjoy without making my wife despise it in the process.