Trying to get the jeep to start

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
I have been away from my jeep for threes years now, due to orders overseas. Someone was supposed to start the jeep every few months but that did not go as plan. First the battery died, then the fuel pump went out. I think they might have left it on and killed both. BUT nothing I can do now except to give the jeep some long overdue love. I am only here for another few days before going back to Italy. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 82 Scrambler with a 1994 4.0 OBDI one in it. I have fixed the fuel pump and battery issue. I do not have a way to check the fuel pressure but I do get fuel to squirt out when pressure port is pressed. I can get it to turn over for a few seconds using starting fluid, I hated doing that but need to see if it would actually run.

After reading the other 4.0 post not running right I am going to remove the IAC module and see if that fixes the non starting issue but would love some other suggestions and help as well.

Thanks,

Sean

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
If it's been 3 yrs since you last drove it the fuel is probably toast, (more like varnish). Todays fuel doesn't last more than about a year. You should drain and clean the tank. Then add enough fuel for what you're going to use (since you're leaving again). Then disconnect the fuel hose up by the motor and allow the fuel pump to pump the fuel into a container (till you get all the old fuel out of the line). Also forgot to say replace the fuel filter also. I've seen guys try to light gas that's been sitting about 1 1/2yrs and even tossing a match couldn't get it to light, 3 yrs you don't even have a prayer.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
do you have spark? Check out the guys at Open Air Jeeps down there, Tim runs the shop he's a good guy!