Tub media blasting

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I thought about having my tub media blasted to save time. It's currently got primer then 4 coats of paint. Factory white, Omaha orange, another orange and then od green. The inside is the primer, white, and roll on bed liner. I didn't realize how much I hated it until I had done it. Well anyways I can't find anywhere nearby that strips car bodies. I found a place that is going to acid dip and galvanize my frame but they didn't recommend doing this to the body. Said the galvanizing could warp it. Also their blaster could too. They usually don't do thin metals mostly industrial stuff. Have any of you used one of the harbor freight or other portable blasters to strip your tub. I was thinking about using one with black beauty. Will the blaster even touch the bedliner? A da sander just kept gumming up the paper with the one orange paint. I have no idea what it is. It will take a ton of aircraft stripper to get it all off. And it's cold out so it doesn't work as well as in the summer. How do you prevent warping with a blaster. Will a small blaster even affect it? How long do you think it would take to blast one? I can run 2 compressors in tandem for about ~30cfm.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Years ago I sands and sand blasted my first CJ8. Took a long time, ended up using captain Lee's spray and strip. It took the paint off GREAT. Still have a hood a stripped 20 years ago. Still in bare metal and 98% rust free after that using it. Not sure if it is still made though.

Sent from my SM-J320P

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Years ago when I worked in a restoration shop we sent large sheetmetal parts out to Redi-Strip and they dipped them and they came back bare metal with a little bit of white residue. Not sure what they used but we referred to it as acid dip. This was in Los Angeles and the CA regulations ran them out. Maybe you can find someone in your area that can dip the body.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Look into water blasting . If u have the room they come to you and do it..

sent from my flaming samsung note7

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
My driveway and yard are kinda tight for the one person I found who does it. And they're don't want to travel that far anyways. I have a huge back yard but getting to it is a pita. Until someday if I possibly buy this place and rearrange

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Maybe I'll try the cheap blaster and then in the spring I can convert it to one of those wet blasters with my pressure washer.

rstickley

SOA Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I do Dustless Blasting here in south Louisiana. I just recently did a Scrambler, complete. Inside, outside, underneath, hood, ect. and charged $1,200 which included traveling 1 hr away. You can called MMLJ (the manufacturer of the machine) at 800-727-5707 and tell them that you are looking to find a contractor close to you. They will give you the contact info of the closest one. It took me about 6 hrs to do the one I just did.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I had one guy on the other side of the state tell me if I could get it there he'd do it. He wanted over 2gs and I didn't even tell him about the roll on bed liner inside the tub.

rstickley

SOA Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
Having it on a rotisserie makes a big difference. With me, I would have to see the bed liner to determine if it would increase the price any.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Sadly I prepped really really good for the junk roll on liner. Definitely didn't half *** it this time

rstickley

SOA Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I have blasted bedliner off before. If it is real rubbery, it won't blast. If it a hard liner, and blast it wet( keeps it cool), it will blast off.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
The heat-and-peel plan sounds like it's worth a try... maybe with a heat-gun though, not a torch. ;)

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I started out with a 1500W heat gun at first. It worked but when I finally decided to break out the propane torch it was on, or OFF to be more specific. Just heat it until it's a little gummy then use a flat chisel to get a start and peel it off. Wear leather gloves or even welding gloves as this scthuff gets hot. Good luck and repot back.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I might look into acid dipping. Haven't had any luck finding anywhere yet. if the cost can be offset with less overtime hours than the hours I'd actually spend working on it myself I'll go that route.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Only shop I found was in Indianapolis http://www.redistripindy.com/. They did my cj8 project and 2 cj8 frames. Did a awesome job. Should have seen some of the older cars and trucks that were stripped and ready to be picked up. Unfortunately looks like he's trying to sell the business. More Redi Strips were around again unfortunately the EPA has made it very hard and expensive to run these outfits.