jeepmonkster

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
tulsa
State
ok
I'm getting ready to remove the Tub from my 83 Scrambler. I have the tub loose and plan to to roll the frame and tub outside, and not sure what to do then. I first need to jack the tub up and pull the frame back inside the shop, I'm thinking about using my engine hoist to raise it up and then lower onto some plywood sheets. Most of the work I need to do is on the underside, the topside is in good condition. My question is what is the best way to turn one upside down without doing damage. I Thought about laying out some additional plywood and pad with foam rubber then get my two neighbors to help roll it over. Any suggestions, or do you think this will work.:twocents:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Here is the best thing.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104217041132479553932/albums/5441996980635389729?banner=pwa

There is a thread on here about how this member of the site, created a rotisserie for his jeep. There are more simple versions but I really like his.

You can just make a roll around cart of 2x4's and caster wheels. Size the 4 corners out of taller ones to bolt to the 2 out side faces and that will work to hold it upside down and let you roll it. But if you want to take it to a blaster the rotisserie is a great thing and the guy doing the work will really like it.

Carl

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Or, just call your neighbors/friends. 3 strong guys can man handle an empty tub.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Awwwwwwww. Not true. But i know you have neighbors. Just need to make sure they are willing to help.

Dain

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
On my cj7 I jacked up the corners, slid a 4"x4"x8" under the front and one on the rear. Under the tub I put a 2x4 on top of the 4x4 so not to bend the sides. It took a few back and forth to get it high enough to roll the frame out. On the cj8 I'm now in the middle of I used a tow motor to put on saw horses (with wheels). To get on it's side (without damaging the side on the ground) I did a poor mans rotisserie using 2"x2" boxed steel, 1 1/2" gas pipe and flanges P1000121.jpg P1000120.jpg . It worked good and was much cheaper (for one time use) than buying or making a rotisserie. I'm short on help also.

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
I used two HF engine stands to make a rotisserie when I was doing my tub. Fairly cheap, and I was working by myself. It worked great, and made working on it much easier. I added extensions to the vertical leg so it would swing 360 degrees.

image.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That was plan 2, if this didn't work. At the time I thought buying engine stands were a waste of money (I don't rebuild engines) afterward I now wish I had the stands. Would make it easy to use as a engine holder till I decide to what to do with the engines.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Some people bridge the top of the door openings to keep the tub from folding in the middle. I guess it depends on how good the metal is, it may not be needed, but I'd sure hate to deal with the damage if creased all the panels by lifting at the ends only.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I had no problem with lifting the ends. I had to repair next to the jeep lettering and I put new floor pans and floor pcs. under the roll bar feet. I even removed the braces that give the extra support for the front roll bar feet ( I did have to use ratchet straps to realign the bolt holes to install the braces). If I did remove the floor (or had major rust damage) I believe you would be correct.

Last edited:

jeepmonkster

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
tulsa
State
ok
Did you buy the $60 Stands or the $130 Stands. This looks like a great solution.
I used two HF engine stands to make a rotisserie when I was doing my tub. Fairly cheap, and I was working by myself. It worked great, and made working on it much easier. I added extensions to the vertical leg so it would swing 360 degrees.

View attachment 40570

kctango

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Allenhurst
State
GA
The easiest way I found to lift the tub by yourself was.
I had two of those combo ladders that form an "A" I placed two short 2x4 across the steps on each ladder then two 2x6 from ladder to ladder. The hooked my chain hoist to a chain that I bolted to the seat belt mounts and up the tub went. After words all I did was roll the chassis out from uderneath and then set the tub down onto some furniture dolleys.

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Did you buy the $60 Stands or the $130 Stands. This looks like a great solution.
I bought the cheaper ones. I had my doubts about the strength of them when hanging the 258 on one of them, but even with the droop they held up. I left my engine hoist attached for a couple of days just in case. But for holding the body they did work great. I attached a cross bar in the rear of the tub in the tailgate area to support the rear. Stripped down the tub isn't really that heavy.

Here is another angle...

image.jpg

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
2 people can pick one up. So I would say 200-400 #'s.

I can pick it up myself but balance and lift points are bad.

Hardest thing is the size.

Also without the frame they can bend easily at the door area. So if you put them up on a system like that I would add a bar across the top that will strengthen it.

1" square tube should be enough.

Carl