Tubes already Welded in my AMC 20?

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
So looking at the Obvious holes in the casting where you can see the pressed-in section of tube, under them I noticed what looks like holes filled with stick weld (in the first pic, in line with the lower shiny bolt). I've heard that some AMC20 castings have more of these holes, not just the obvious ones that are located in the same plane as where the Diff cover mounts. Are mine already welded?

Attachments

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I see. I didn't realize there were factory welds that could fail, you'd have to shear off the entire weld for the tube to spin! Wow.

This guys got an interesting approach. Probably a good idea if you have a lathe and just wanna use a MIG on regular steel!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
First time I have seen the 20 done that way. Usually stitch welded at the housing and tube.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I see. I didn't realize there were factory welds that could fail, you'd have to shear off the entire weld for the tube to spin! Wow.

This guys got an interesting approach. Probably a good idea if you have a lathe and just wanna use a MIG on regular steel!
I wouldn't trust the plugs he did...might help some but nothing beats 360* of weld.

I've spun the tubes in a 20 rear axle. Twisted the driveshaft and left the pinion pointing almost straight up. The didn't move at all- the center section did! I was able to unbolt the driveshaft and make it home on the front axle. A few months later the output on my T176 trans sheared off...it's still sitting on my desk!

B0F57D30-BFC9-4CF7-B3C3-31B7EE3BE480.jpeg 1CBB315B-83E3-4FBB-86FD-FBC44716AFBF.jpeg

276,000 miles. It was a bit worn...

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
WOW! Thanks for the info. I'll probably go with "When in doubt, just weld it".

What tires, engine, torque were you running!?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Personally, when I did my 20 rear (which I gave up long ago), I did 3 1” stitches spaced around the circumference. Do one on each side, let them cool slowly, maybe even lay a welding glove on each, then do the next stitch and so on. This helps keep the metal from getting brittle and breaking under stress...the whole point of welding them in the first place.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
WOW! Thanks for the info. I'll probably go with "When in doubt, just weld it".

What tires, engine, torque were you running!?
350 with 3.73 gears and 33” tires. I was pretty rough on it. The axle tubes spun when my foot slipped off the clutch when the throttle stuck at a cold start. (About 4000 rpm, right foot on brake and left slipped off clutch. Boom. ) trans shaft broke just pulling away from a stop sign. I’m sure the bulk of the damage was done prior...