Turn signal and side marker flashing when braking.

CJocho

CJ-8 Member
City
CHICAGO
State
Il
When I apply pressure to the brakes, and the lights are on, the side markers and turn signals illuminate and flash in an alternating pattern. Any ideas on what this is all about? It seems too intricate to be anything other than by design. In a previous life this Overlander was a snow plow at the Jeep factory. Maybe it was wired this way for safety reasons. I'll post a video of the light show later tonight.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
When I apply pressure to the brakes, and the lights are on, the side markers and turn signals illuminate and flash in an alternating pattern. Any ideas on what this is all about? It seems too intricate to be anything other than by design. In a previous life this Overlander was a snow plow at the Jeep factory. Maybe it was wired this way for safety reasons. I'll post a video of the light show later tonight.
That could very well be the case.

I'd start by tracing your brake pedal switch wiring... It shouldn't be too difficult tracing that wiring to see if it was intentionally spliced into the TS/flasher circuit during its prior life as a snowplow at the Jeep assembly plant.

IIRC, thebrake wiring is essentially a homerun to thetaillights.

If nothing is found, check each rear lamp for a splice or a short... When wiring my car hauler trailer lights to activate my CJ lights , I had to install diodes to prevent the CJ brake lights from backfeeding the CJ TS/ flasher circuit when off the trailer.

Separately but related for future reference, my experience with sidemarker and TS malfunctions on two different CJs has been tracked down to one or both of grounding issues (e.g. one or more lamphousing) and the TS switch located around and inside the steering column.