• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Two new to me tops

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
So I picked up a couple of full soft tops from the same guy I bought my jeep from. One is a complete top from Bestop, similar to the Tigertop, but I think it is the previous version of that top. Several of the parts are galvanized steel as opposed to being black powder coated which led me to that conclusion. All of the parts and pieces (except for the snaps to be installed on the tub) are there. The top has the normal tears at the door handle areas and has a crack in the rear panel at the very top.

The other top is a Kayline top that is in pretty good shape. I am missing the front bow on it though and the side window panels have some discoloration from rubbing up against the rear bows. There is also some discoloration of the fabric on the inside rear panel that looks like water stains from being soaked while it was rolled up.

So a couple of questions to the rest of you. What kind of value do these tops have? Which one would you rather put on your jeep if you had to choose? Would you opt for a brand new Supertop that has all the parts and pieces and is in perfect condition, but costs twice as much?

Let me know what you think. Pictures to come once I pull them out of the garage and take them.

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
I’m gueesing condition is key to value and opinions. Pix?
Yeah, condition is everything.

Neither top is in perfect shape. The Kayline top is in better shape, no rips or tears, just some staining. The Bestop one will need a little work. I am planning on reinforcing the areas where the door handles come in with some additional material. I am not quite sure what to do about the tear in the window. It is possible that it becomes a full length bikini top.

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
Here is the Kayline top. It is in better shape but I am missing the front bow.

20181005_160223.jpg
20181005_160449.jpg

20181005_160534.jpg

20181005_160239.jpg

20181005_161133.jpg

I have all of the small stretcher bars for this top but I am also missing the windshield channel and some of the smaller hardware.

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
Bump...

Anyone else have an opinion on whether to use the older tops or just opt for a new one?

I have some money tied up in the old ones, but if I went with a new top, I would sell the older ones and hopefully recoup what I have in them, so money really isn't an issue.

I prefer to be able to go Safari style with the older tops, but I also like having all of the parts and pieces to a new top and not having to drill all of the snap holes into the tub.