Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Hi Gang,

With the help of of a great parts guy here in Arizona, I upgraded part of my ignition system today. The parts guy (Mike from a local Chevrolet dealer) put a package of upgraded components together including a new larger distributor cap to space the contact terminals further apart and a distributor cap adaptor to fit the new larger distributor cap to my stock distributor. I also received a new taller rotor to make up for the increased distributor cap + adapter size. The purpose of the above changes is so I could run a hotter coil (which also came in the kit Mike put together), new 8mm plug wires and new plugs.

The change is amazing. Running a higher voltage coil and the above new ignition components resulted in an instantaneous start (rather than the engine having to crank a couple of times), smoother idle, and noticeably smoother acceleration.

I'm not sure what the effect will be on fuel economy, but I'm getting about 16 mpg currently so I'll see what (if any) changes occur to my mpg based on the above changes.

Here's a few pictures of today's changes:

Old Stuff:

New Stuff:

And here's a very nice thing to see. The old plugs as I pulled them out.
Not bad looking for a completely stock BBD carburetor, plugs, and plug wires.

I'm sure many of you knew about this particular modification but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Joe

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That's commonly referred to as the TFI ignition upgrade. Very common alternative to stock, along with the Chevy HEI, they're the two most often seen upgrades. Good power and throttle response difference for the $$. :thumbsup:

You didn't mention it, but did you gap the plugs larger to make the most out of the hotter spark?

Joe West

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Ah... I didn't realize it had a name :)

I gapped the plugs to .045 although the parts guy said they might be good up to .048 I decided to go with the conservative .045

That's commonly referred to as the TFI ignition upgrade. Very common alternative to stock, along with the Chevy HEI, they're the two most often seen upgrades. Good power and throttle response difference for the $$. :thumbsup:

You didn't mention it, but did you gap the plugs larger to make the most out of the hotter spark?

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Joe, something's wrong with the email you have in your profile, the notifications from the forum are undeliverable. Just FYI if you check this thread...

Joe West

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
I actually purchased the compressor from a dealer and had the A/C lines custom made to match the factory lines of mine that were old. The receiver/dryer was an off the shelf part I purchased from NAPA.

man that is one purdy ac compressor you got there. Did you just recently a Collins bro's kit?