Upgrading

Srambler83

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Hi again fellow keepers.

Have a question. Currently have a 83 cj8. Upgrading tie rod and drag link, tie rod and drag links ends, adjustments, clamps etc.

Do I need a dampener? If so where does it go? Is there a kit where I can purchase all in one?

Need your experience on getting back on the updated and right way. Please forward pictures of how you have it set up.

Mostly street driven. Thanks

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
In my experience, a steering damper is generally installed to "mask" an issue with alignment, worn bushings, or steering linkage sloppiness. So, in general, I would say no you do not "need" a damper. Theoretically, if the alignment is good, tires well balanced and round, spring bushings are healthy, the tie rods healthy, and the steering box tight, there should be no reason to necessitate a damper. If you think you "need" a damper, there is generally something in that list that needs attention.

Srambler83

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Thank you Fummins so no damper will be used, thanks for clarifying.

Do you have a picture that i can look at?

Sounds pretty straight forward.
- drag link and both ends
- tie rod and both ends
- adjustment with clamps

Like the beefier look, any brand recommendations?

Anything else anyone sees I am missing. Any recommendations welcomed.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
A steering stabilizer will do little to nothing to affect/improve steering or handling in typical driving circumstances. They were introduced as a "safety" precaution. The idea being that if you encounter a sudden/strong force to the steering (like hitting a big curb at speed), the stabilizer would slow down the steering reaction. and make it less likely to jerk the wheel out of your hand. Their value is debatable, but plenty of CJs were built without them prior to their introduction (whatever year that started).

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I just bought and installed the rugged ridge heavy duty kit. I really liked the quality for the price. It appears to not use “off the shelf” TREs; but they don’t appear to be too expensive from rugged ridge...

Srambler83

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Tower210 thank you. Do you run a damper with your rugged ridge set up you just installed.

Going also with the rugged ridge HD.

Can I ask where you purchased it from and do you have and item number?

Thank you

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
This is what came on mine:

83B01741-A09B-48E2-A911-6CC43D1D77AE.jpeg

I assume it is stock sine one end mounts on the leaf spring pad. When I get done building it I plan to reinstall or install a new one. Can’t see it really hurting anything and can see it dampening the steering in rough conditions.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Stock one mounts to the other side. No reason you can’t add one to either side if you have the space and build the mounting tabs.

Srambler83

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Tower210,

Well just throwing it around and wondering what ppl think. Would like to have one but also not doing anything extreme.

I need to get alighnment this week. But definitely have slack and have done quiet a bit to eliminate steering slack. I might just do the alignment first then see what happens.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Currently have the 4.5” lift with 35” new tie rod and drag link kit etc.