Used my Scrambler to tow a trailer with my on it.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So I had a dilemma this past weekend. My local Jeep club had our annual show and I registered both my Scrambler and my 3a. But how to get them both there. Well, I borrowed a 12 ft trailer and put the flatty on it. I could definitely tell it was back there. Acceleration sucked. But I took it nice and slow. And I took the back roads. It was 7-8 am on Saturday so traffic was light. Good.

On the way home, it was different. I had to make a quick stop at 35 mph and things got a little interesting. The trailer pushed me. I was able to avoid rearending a bus and ended up in the lane next to it. But after that all was good. Made it home. I don’t think I will do that again. At least not on a trailer that does not have brakes.

Anyone else have experiences using their Scrambler as the tow vehicle?

Here is a pic

63EFBA13-0787-49E7-852A-F2D210E3A542.jpeg

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Here are pics I took at the show. This is a very tall friend trying to fit into the 3a
127BDF41-AFE3-48A6-8EDA-7C54E8C368F9.jpeg

A9AAE0C6-80BA-4804-8F3C-30693072B287.jpeg

This Scrambler won 1st in the classics class.
D039A06B-F388-4400-9B93-E80D5776C2C2.jpeg

My 3a did not take a trophy home. But that is fine. We used it as the sign to attract people to the barn where the classics were staged.

262D93B4-9433-45E0-A6DA-331446BA3AF2.jpeg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Towed a friends 17 ft Mako boat with 115 Hp outboard 30 miles to the boat launch and back. Got the job done but was out matched.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I towed a 21 foot ski boat with a 351 in it back in the day. I found it would pull it ok, but stopping it was another story. I only did it once.

I had friends (twin brothers) who used to tow a boat that size back and forth to the lake every weekend with their 77 CJ-7. It had a 304/T150 with 3.54's so they towed it with much better than my 80's CJ with 3.31's and a T5. Didn't stop it any better, but they did it every weekend for years.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I used to tow a snowmobile trailer. It was only about 2,800 lbs. fully loaded, but pulling it up the high passes was more than the 258 could manage (my excuse for the V8). It was a handful when the roads were icy, but otherwise did great.

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
I bought an 18 foot boat that weighed right around 3,000 lbs. I towed it home 30 miles and to and from the boat ramp a couple times. Didn't feel comfortable or safe so I ended up purchasing a 1/2T truck.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This is where "can" and "should" matter. Even on my little camping trailer build that I knew would be behind the Postal a lot, I went through the trouble of doing trailer brakes. Total overkill, but that's exactly what you want when towing. I've had a close call with panic braking in the bus with the Postal on the trailer (dual axle brakes) on the way to SMORR and it did fine, but that experience taught me never to screw around with pulling trailers.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I have looked towing vehicles on a trailer this way " if it needs 4 brakes to stop it driving it, it needs 4 brakes to stop it towing it."