• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Using tow bar on highway

Looking to get new Jeep home. It has a tow bar, so I was thinking about just towing behind my truck. However this Jeep has been garaged for most of the past 5 years. I need to travel about 3 hours on the highway to get it home. Good idea or bad, thoughts?

I have never used a tow bar before. I assume transfer case in Neurtal and unlock the steering column. Anything else to know?

What do you guys do about brake lights?

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Price the uhaul car transport. Normally they are pretty reasonable. Personally I wouldn’t use a tow bar unless it was a very short distance. Without knowing the condition of tires, wheel bearings, steering components... a failure on the side of the road would likely cost more than a trailer rental.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
Looking to get new Jeep home. It has a tow bar, so I was thinking about just towing behind my truck. However this Jeep has been garaged for most of the past 5 years. I need to travel about 3 hours on the highway to get it home. Good idea or bad, thoughts?

I have never used a tow bar before. I assume transfer case in Neurtal and unlock the steering column. Anything else to know?
I don't have the details in front of me, but the 300 should never be towed for a long distance (200 miles?) without internal modifications to provide lubrication.
The driveshaft should be removed to prevent damage.
That said, with the concern of tires, bearings, brake lights, and also auxiliary braking... a trailer is the best choice.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
Remove the rear driveshaft at the differential, unlock the hubs on the front and unlock the steering. Then have something rigged for towing lights. Otherwise, put it on a trailer.